Entrepreneurship & Management Minor

The W.P. Carey Program in Entrepreneurship and Management (E&M) was created through a gift from the late businessman and philanthropist William Polk Carey, who believed that, “to be successful, students need educational training in leadership, management, finance, and international issues.”

Today, the E&M program educates Hopkins students in the fundamentals of enterprise and provides hands-on experience both innovating to solve real-world problems and translating and commercializing those innovations from the classroom to the real world.

The minor’s three core courses provide a strong foundation in the fundamentals of entrepreneurial enterprises. Students can then select any three upper-level courses, plus the required work in statistics, to complete the minor.*

*Please note that only students matriculating in 2020 or after are required to take a capstone course as one of their three upper-level electives. Please see the list below for acceptable capstone courses.

  • Q: What are the requirements for the E&M Minor?

    A: To complete the Entrepreneurship & Management minor, students must take courses from three categories: statistics, fundamentals of entrepreneurship and management, and upper level entrepreneurship and management electives. Students matriculating in the fall of 2020 and after must take a capstone course as one of their three upper-level electives. To complete the minor, all students must successfully complete a program of courses approved by CLE.

    Q: Who can take E&M courses?

    A: E&M courses are open to all Johns Hopkins Arts & Sciences, Engineering, Public Health, and Peabody students.

    Q: Do I have to declare the E&M minor to take E&M courses?

    A: No. Students may choose to take only a course or two. They do not have to declare the minor.

    Q: Where do I go for advising support?

    A: Advising for the minor is managed the Center for Leadership Education in Whitehead Hall. You may contact [email protected], to schedule an appointment with an Academic Program Coordinator.

    Q: Can I count courses taken on an S/U basis?

    A: A maximum of one course may count toward the minor that was taken on an S/U basis.

    Q: I have already declared the Business, Accounting &Financial Management, or Marketing & Communications minor and I would like to add or switch to the E&M minor. How can I do that?

    A: Students can declare a new minor or drop their current minor by completing the “Declare a New Major/Minor” form in SIS > Registration Tab > Online Forms. Contact [email protected] with any questions.

  • To complete the minor, students must take:

    Three core courses

    • EN.660.105 Foundations of American Enterprise*
    • EN.660.203 Financial Accounting
    • EN.661.110 Professional Writing & Communication
      OR EN.661.250 Oral Presentations

    *formerly Introduction to Business


    • OPTION 1:
      A two-course Statistical Analysis series
      EN.550.111 Statistical Analysis I
      OR AS.230.205 Introduction to Social Statistics
      OR AS.280.345 Public Health Biostatistics
      OR EN.550.113 Statistics Through Case Study
      OR AP Statistics
      EN.550.112 Statistical Analysis II
    • OPTION 2:
      One Calculus-based statistics course (must have Calculus as a prerequisite)
      EN.553.211 Probability & Statistics for Life Sciences
      OR EN.553.310 Probability & Statistics for the Physical & Information Sciences
      OR EN.553.311 Probability & Statistics for the Biological & Medical Sciences
      OR EN.553.413 Applied Statistics & Data Analysis
      OR EN.553.430 Introduction to Statistics
      OR EN.540.305 Modeling & Statistical Analysis of Data for Chemical Biomolecular Engineers
      OR EN.560.348 Probability & Statistics for Civil Engineers

    Upper electives

    Choose three from the list below. One course may be taken from the list of Marketing & Communications Minor electives found here.

    • AS.180.263 Corporate Finance (Economics dept)
    • EN.570.334 Engineering Microeconomics (Environmental Health & Engineering dept)
    • EN.660.300 Managerial Finance
    • EN.660.303 Managerial Accounting
    • EN.660.308 Business Law I
    • EN.660.310 Cases in Workplace Ethics
    • EN.660.311 Law and the Internet
    • EN.660.321 Managing & Marketing Social Enterprises
    • EN.660.329 Social Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice: Community Based Learning
    • EN.660.331 Leading in Teams
    • EN.660.332 Leadership Theory
    • EN.660.333 Leading Change
    • EN.660.335 Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
    • EN.660.340 Management Theory and Practice
    • EN.660.341 Process Re-Engineering and Quality Management
    • EN.660.352 New Product Development
    • EN.660.361 Engineering Business and Management
    • EN.660.363 Leadership & Management in Materials Science and Engineering
    • EN.660.404 Business Law II
    • EN.660.410 Computer Science Innovation and Entrepreneurship
    • EN.660.414 Financial Statement Analysis
    • EN.660.419 Strategy Consulting
    • EN.660.460 Entrepreneurship
    • EN.660.475 Innovation Lab
    • EN.661.315 Culture of the Engineering Profession
    • EN.661.317 Culture of the Medical Profession
    • EN.661.380 Decision Analytics
    • EN.663.453 Innovation and Design

    Capstone Course Options

    • EN.660.410 Computer Science Innovation and Entrepreneurship
    • EN.660.411 Corporate Strategy: Failure and Success
    • EN.660.414 Financial Statement Analysis
    • EN.660.419 Strategy Consulting
    • EN.660.459 Entrepreneurial Spirits
    • EN.660.475 Innovation Lab
    • EN.663.453 Innovation and Design

    Please note the following:

    • Transfer credits must be reviewed and approved by the minor program director. Contact your adviser to request a review and include all relevant syllabi.
    • Study abroad credits must be pre-approved by the program director. Email your adviser to request a review and include all relevant syllabi. Once approved, arrange a time with your adviser to complete the pre-approval form provided by the Office of Study Abroad.
    • Only one course may be taken on an S/U basis
    • A C- or higher is the grade requirement for all E&M courses.

    If you have any questions regarding requirements, please email us at [email protected]

  • It is necessary that all students interested in the minor make an appointment to speak with a CLE Academic Program Coordinator to receive guidance about the program.

    1. Please complete a minor declaration form online by logging into your Student Information System (SIS) account, clicking the “Registration” tab, selecting “Online Forms,” and then “Declare a new major/minor.”

    2. Upon submission of the form, email [email protected] to set up a meeting with the academic program coordinator.

    3. During the meeting, the academic program coordinator will answer any questions you may have about the minor requirements and approve your declaration form.




Back to top