Skip to main content

Graduate Programs: How to Apply

  • Review the requirements and deadlines. Please note, all documents must be uploaded through the application. Once submitted you will not be able to make changes to your application information using the online application system. Do not mail any documents unless requested or admitted. Please check the department’s website to which you are applying for requirement and deadline information.

  • Obtain unofficial transcripts from your school(s) student account or Registrar’s office. To obtain your unofficial JHU transcripts: Go to, enter your JHED ID and password, go to Registration/My Grades and click on View Unofficial Transcript. If your transcripts are not issued in English, you must submit documents in both the original language and English translation from a professional third-party service. Please refer to this site for available services

  • Obtain the email addresses from your recommenders. In your online application, you will be able to request electronic letters of recommendations. The Slate application system will simply solicit your recommender via their email account. They then only need to follow the instructions. We strongly recommend you use the Slate system. Do not mail in letters of recommendation.

  • Prepare your statement of purpose. The office of Engineering Graduate Admissions does not accept paper copies of the statement of purpose. Applicants are required to submit this document through the online application.

  • Have your GRE scores sent through ETS. Applicants are required to request recent GRE scores from ETS and submit them to Johns Hopkins before the application deadline. In order for your application to be reviewed, you must include the university’s institution code in your request to ETS. Johns Hopkins University School of Engineering’s institution code is 5332.

    Department codes: Applicants do not need to select a department code. As long as the institutional code of 5332 has been selected, the scores will be delivered to the Whiting School of Engineering’s admissions office. Some departments might require or recommend the GRE Subject Test.  Please check the department’s website for more information.

  • Have application fee payment ready to submit. A non-refundable fee of $75.00 is required for each application to the Whiting School of Engineering, with the following exceptions: the departments of Civil Engineering, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, and the Information Security Institute charge a non-refundable $25.00 application fee. Materials Science and Engineering waives the application fee for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Payment may be made online via Visa, Mastercard, or Discover.

    The application fee may be waived for applicants with documented (must be uploaded within the application) registration/participation in one of the following programs:

    • ABRCMS
    • Baltimore Scholars Program
    • Chocktaw/Chickasaw Scholarship
    • Department Request
    • Explore Hopkins
    • Financial Hardship
    • GEM, Graduate Horizons
    • IRT
    • JHU BioREU
    • JHU Undergrad/Grad Student
    • Leadership Alliance
    • LSAMP
    • MARC
    • McNair
    • Mellon Mays Fellowship
    • Meyerhoff Program
    • Millennium Scholar
    • MIT Laureates & Leaders
    • MMUF
    • Morgan State University Students
    • National Name Exchange (NNE)
    • oSTEM
    • POSSE
    • Project 1000
    • SACNAS
    • SHPE
    • Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
    • Veteran/Active Military Personnel
    • Vietnam Education

    To request a waiver based on financial hardship please select the option on the application and upload one of the following: FAFSA SAR Report, a letter from a college/university financial aid office, unemployment verification. Do not send tax returns. All documents will be reviewed and verified for satisfactory evidence.

    If the uploaded document is not accepted, you will be contacted to resubmit or to pay the application fee. For further information, please contact your department.

  • Begin the online application by selecting the correct application (Please refer to the “Start or Continue Application” section) for your start term and degree program.

    PLEASE NOTE: United States Social Security Numbers are included as part of student tuition information for U.S. taxes (IRS Form 1098-T) and are used for enrollment verification through the National Student Clearinghouse. If you have a valid social security number, it is to your advantage to use it though not required. After the first day of classes, any change to your Government ID requires presentation of your Social Security Card to the Registrar’s Office.

Back to top