For information pertaining to applications to the part-time/online master’s degree and certificate programs offered through the Whiting School’s Engineering for Professionals program, visit Engineering for Professionals Admissions Information for International Students.
For all foreign academic work we strongly recommend that you submit a professional credential evaluation from World Education Services (WES). Credential evaluations allow the departments to better assess your academic records. These evaluations do not replace the transcript, you are still required to upload these documents as instructed.
Johns Hopkins University requires graduate students to have adequate English proficiency for their course of study. Graduate students must be able to read, speak, and write English fluently upon their arrival at the university. Applicants whose native language is not English must submit proof of their proficiency in English (either through successful completion of a recognized proficiency test or the receipt of a waiver) before they can be offered admissions and before a visa certificate can be issued. Note: even if an applicant receives a waiver from the Whiting School, it does not necessarily mean they will pass an English proficiency verification in a visa interview.
Accepted English Proficiency Tests for Admission
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Results should be sent directly to the Whiting School of Engineering Graduate Admissions Office by ETS using our TOEFL institution code (C559). Information about the TOEFL can be found at the TOEFL website.
- Johns Hopkins prefers a minimum score of 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based), and 100 (internet-based) on the TOEFL.
- TOEFL Institution Code: C559.
- No department or program code is needed to send scores. If ETS requires a department code to send scores, please use the department you are applying to or the general code if the department is not available.
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination is offered jointly by University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL), The British Council and IDP: IELTS Australia. Applicant should contact the test center where they took the test directly and request that test scores be sent electronically to the Whiting School of Engineering Graduate Admissions Office using the IELTS Global Recognition System. Information about the IELTS can be found at the IELTS website.
- Johns Hopkins prefers an IELTS Academic Band Score equal to 7.
IELTS Institution Name: Johns Hopkins University, Whiting School of Engineering, Country: USA.
Updates in lieu of COVID-19 Test Center Closures (AY2020-21)
During the 2020-2021 academic year, we will accept the following exams due to COVID-related accessibility issues:
- ETS is offering at home testing for the TOEFL iBT in selected locations where it is not currently possible to deliver in-person testing.
- The TOEFL ITP Plus is a testing solution exclusively for Mainland China featuring the TOEFL ITP test and a video speaking interview. It will be available until TOEFL iBT testing resumes in Mainland China.
- IELTS Indicator is an online English language test for students not able to attend an IELTS test center.
- iTEP, the International Test of English Proficiency, currently offers a special internet-based version of their test that is not dependent on a physical location or proctoring. Temporarily, iTEP has agreed to permit Johns Hopkins University prospective F-1 students to take this special version of their test. Test results are emailed to JHU within 24 hours. Students will also receive a copy of their test results via email.
English Proficiency Test Waiver
Some conditions may apply for a waiver of the English Language Proficiency requirement. You may request an English Language Proficiency Test Waiver by contacting the Engineering Graduate Admissions Office by emailing WSEGrad-Admissions@jhu.edu.