Opportunities That Are Uniquely Hopkins
Integrating research and education and the creation of knowledge are the hallmarks of Johns Hopkins University. As an undergraduate here, you’ll have the chance to be part of this rich tradition, beginning your first year on campus.
With unrivaled opportunities to work one-on-one under the mentorship of engineering faculty members, clinicians at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and researchers at the Applied Physics Laboratory, participating in research is an important part of the Hopkins undergraduate experience. In fact, 70 percent of our undergraduates take part in research, outside their classes.
By joining a research team, you can deepen your connections with the university, explore career options, and not only learn about, but be part of, breakthroughs that advance knowledge. Our undergraduates contribute to journal articles, attend professional conferences, and some can earn academic credit for their work.
Your Time to Explore: How to Find Research Opportunities
- The Hopkins Office for Undergraduate Research offers resources and events to help you get started, including a step-by-step guide that outlines the entire process.
- Your faculty advisor, other undergraduates and graduate students, and your department may be able to offer options.
- Learn what faculty are doing. If you find something that interests you, contact them!
Research Resources for Undergraduates
- RISE@APL (Research Internships in Science and Engineering) provides competitive, paid summer research internships
- The Provost’s Undergraduate Research Awards (PURA) program supports research and other creative projects
- Johns Hopkins Medicine Summer Internship Program provides research opportunities in laboratories at Hopkins Medicine
- Vredenburg Travel Fund supports international undergraduate research, internships, and service work during the summer.
- The Bloomberg Distinguished Professorships summer fellowship program gives Johns Hopkins undergraduates the opportunity to work and conduct research under the mentorship of some of the world’s preeminent scholars.
The Johns Hopkins Engineering community is creating a better future, translating theoretical knowledge into real-world solutions. Design Day is our annual celebration showcasing student innovation and creativity.