The PhD degree is awarded for original research performed under the guidance of a thesis advisor. The formal requirements for this degree are:
- Completion of six graduate-level courses including the four required core and elective courses.
- Completion of an annual research evaluation each year.
- Serve as a teaching assistant for at least two required undergraduate courses.
- Completion in the first semester of 500.401 Research Laboratory Safety
- Attend graduate seminars (540.600/601) every semester. Students are expected to enroll and attend department seminars throughout their tenure in the department.
- Successful completion of the Graduate Board Oral Exam.
- Completion of an original research project, documented in a dissertation that is defended by the candidate in a public presentation.
- Completion of Responsible Conduct of Research training. For complete information, see WSE’s Policy on the Responsible Conduct of Research Training.
- Application for Graduation submitted to Registrar’s office.
For students entered before Fall 2021 Degree Requirement Checklist here.
For students entered in Fall 2021 Degree Requirement Checklist here
View the PhD Student Handbook (pdf)