Fall 2023 application deadline is December 15, 2022
The PhD degree is awarded for original research performed under the guidance of a thesis advisor. The formal requirements for this degree are:
- Completion of six graduate-level courses including the four required core and elective courses.
- Completion of an annual research evaluation each year.
- Serve as a teaching assistant for at least two required undergraduate courses.
- Completion in the first semester of 500.401 Research Laboratory Safety
- Attend graduate seminars (540.600/601) every semester. Students are expected to enroll and attend department seminars throughout their tenure in the department.
- Successful completion of the Graduate Board Oral Exam.
- Completion of an original research project, documented in a dissertation that is defended by the candidate in a public presentation.
- Completion of Responsible Conduct of Research training. For complete information, see WSE’s Policy on the Responsible Conduct of Research Training.
- Application for Graduation submitted to Registrar’s office.
For students entered before Fall 2021 Degree Requirement Checklist Download here.
For students entered in Fall 2021 Degree Requirement Checklist Download here.