Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Diversity and Inclusion Values Statement
The Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering is dedicated to fostering an inclusive, diverse, and welcoming environment for faculty, staff, and students. We recognize the value and experience of individuals of different backgrounds.
- We aspire to recruit, retain, and support a diverse group of students, postdocs, staff, and faculty in order to maintain an environment in which all individuals can fully contribute and lead.
- We acknowledge the historic and ongoing challenges created by biases and inequitable power structures and seek to address and mitigate these issues within our department. Our efforts to promote this include:
- Seeking new approaches to create a more inclusive atmosphere among all members in the department
- Fostering and collaborating with partners to promote diversity and representation
- Regularly reviewing and sharing data about diversity and equity
- Providing reliable systems of communication to maintain an open and ongoing discussion within the department
- Working to improve the relationship between our university and the Baltimore community
- We believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to excellence in research and education.
We are fortunate to be part of a historical, diverse, and vibrant community within Baltimore and are dedicated to integrating community members and views in our department. To this end, we encourage faculty, staff, students, and community members to reach out with questions, concerns, and comments.
Resources and Contacts
We recognize that at times our department will not meet our aspirations for inclusion and equity, and we invite conversation, discussion, and reporting of any structures, situations, or incidents that merit attention.
Below are several people you may contact for different issues. If you are not sure with whom to talk, you may contact any of us and we will help connect you to the proper support.
Ideas to improve equity and inclusion in our department. Connection to other resources and partners.
Contact: Jamie Spangler, professor and departmental Diversity Champion
All important matters in the department
Contact: Jennifer Elisseeff, interim department head
Resource for undergraduates, reporting issues on advising, classrooms, careers, etc.
Contact: Lilian Josephson , senior lecturer and director of undergraduate studies
Reporting issues related to PhD advising, classes, climate, conflicts, etc.
Contact: Stavroula Sofou, professor and director of graduate studies
Reporting issues related to MS advising, classes, climate, conflicts, etc.
Contact: Sakul Ratanalert, lecturer and director of master’s studies
Resources for students and faculty
Contact: Darlene Saporu, assistant dean for diversity and inclusion (WSE and KSAS)
Report harassment and discrimination at Johns Hopkins University
Contact: Office of Institutional Equity
- Diversity at JHU website
- JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion
- Provost’s Faculty Diversity Initiative
- JHU Diversity Leadership Council
- Homewood Student Affairs Center for Diversity and Inclusion
- Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Homewood Council on Inclusive Excellence
- WSE Graduate Affairs
- WSE Diversity and Inclusion Resources
A Johns Hopkins initiative aims to strengthen bonds with HBCUs.