Welcome to Johns Hopkins! The Office of Undergraduate Affairs/Engineering Advising is here to ensure that you have access to the support, resources, and information you need to make the most of your academic career.
The information below will help you to get your transfer credits evaluated and register for your first-semester classes. Please review the information and follow the directions carefully.
- Check your JHU email daily. Your Hopkins email is the primary source of communication from the university.
- Follow the directions and submit all of your syllabi from your previous institution to OneDrive (this can be access through your JHU portal site). A link will be emailed to your JHU account by your professional academic advisor in our office. It is imperative that students send the necessary and thorough materials so that credit evaluation can be conducted in a timely fashion.
- Candidates for a B.A. degree in the School of Engineering must complete 12 credits (four courses at least 3 credits each) in writing-intensive courses, while candidates for a B.S. degree in Engineering must complete 6 credits (two courses at least 3 credits each) in writing-intensive courses. If you wish to get a course evaluated as writing intensive, please indicate that on the Student Information Form (which will be available on OneDrive). Your professional academic advisor will reach out to you in late September or early October of the fall semester to schedule a 30-minute appointment. To prepare for the meeting, students must provide the following materials:
- Syllabus for the course
- Course description from the catalog or official website
- All of the papers written for the course (it would be helpful to have the original paper with instructors’ comments, but if you do not have that, make sure to provide the final copies)
- Exam credits do not transfer from one institution to another. Therefore, if you have/are expecting AP/IB credits, make sure to send your official score reports to JHU. If you are expecting GCE credits, please bring your original certificate with you when you arrive on campus.
- Complete the Advising Profile by Tuesday, July 6th on the Blackboard organization site called Fall 2021 Transfer Students. This is a questionnaire about your previous college experiences.
- Complete an online Lab Safety Training by Tuesday, July 6th in order to avoid delays in your registration process beginning on July 13th. To access the tutorial, login to my.jhu.edu and go to the myLearning quicklink. Enter 458083 in the search box to locate the appropriate module. Make sure to turn off your pop-up blocker to access the training.
- Review your degree requirements.
- After receiving your faculty advisor assignment, please contact her/him/they to develop an appropriate schedule prior to registration. (You should have already submitted all course materials to your professional academic advisor for credit evaluation as noted in Step #2 prior to contacting your faculty advisor.)
- Prepare for registration:
- Explore Semester.ly. This is a comprehensive scheduling planning tool and it is used to find classes that fit your schedule, provide access to course evaluations and ratings, textbooks, and much more.
- Load your courses to My Cart in SIS.
- Make sure that you do not have any registration alerts/holds that will prevent you from registering on time.
- Register for classes. Remember, Hopkins students have already registered for the fall semester in April. Therefore, you may have to join the waitlist for some classes. Please do not contact the instructor to get into the course. Follow the waitlist policy.