Dean’s List

Students who earn a term grade point average of 3.50 or above in a program of at least 14 credits with at least 12 graded credits will be placed on the Dean’s List for academic excellence. Students with the SDS accommodation to be on a reduced course load and are opting to use that accommodation can earn Dean’s List if they earned a 3.5 or better in 8-11 credits of which at least 7 are completed with a letter gradeA notation of this is made on the student’s academic record. Letters are sent to parents/guardians by the academic advising office. 

Good Academic Standing

Students who earn a term grade point average of 2.00 or above with at least 12 graded credits are considered to be in good academic standing. 

Academic Probation

At the end of each Fall and Spring semester, the academic advising office reviews the records of all engineering undergraduate students to evaluate each student’s academic standing. Students who earn less than 12 credits or earn a term GPA below 2.00 are placed on academic probation. The advising office sends a letter informing a student of this status, and the terms of academic probation are sent to the student in January (for Fall performance) or June (for Spring performance). A student’s academic performance during the Summer term or Intersession will not affect their academic standing.

The terms of academic probation are as follows:

  • Enroll in a maximum of 14 credits, or 4 courses, during the probation semester.
  • Earn at least 12 credits and a 2.00 semester GPA at the end of the probationary term.
  • Enroll in the Study Consulting Program.
  • Meet with a professional academic advisor at least three times during the probationary semester. 
  • Recuse yourself from a leadership role within a student organization.

Students who do not meet the terms of academic probation will be academically suspended. In some circumstances, a student may be continued on academic probation instead of being suspended. A student whose term GPA falls below 1.00 or earns less than 6 credits may be suspended without having been on academic probation the previous semester.

Academic Suspension

A student on academic probation who has not met the terms of probation will be subject to academic suspension from the university for a minimum of one semester and a summer. A student whose term GPA falls below 1.0 or earns fewer than 6 credits may be suspended without having been on academic probation the previous semester. Please see the university catalogue for the full policy on academic suspension.  

Academic suspension can seem like a harsh practice, but it is in place because we want all JHU students to live up to their full academic potential. If you’ve had two consecutive semesters of poor performance or one semester of extremely poor performance, some time away from JHU is warranted. 

Your academic status is shared with several University offices. They will take the following actions.  

Services Affected:  

  • Registrar’s Office: Cancels the student’s registration for the next semester and authorizes a refund of tuition paid for that semester (in accordance with policy) 
  • Office of Student Financial Support: Suspends financial aid and work-study aid to the student 
  • Housing Office: Cancels the student’s housing contract if the student resides in university housing 
  • Office of International Services: Performs duties as required by U.S. federal regulations regarding persons not eligible to study at the university 
  • LEED: Students are not eligible to participate in or hold leadership positions within student organizations.  
  • There are a few other things outside of campus that may be affected by your academic suspension status. You should review the health insurance policy that covers you, any student auto insurance, repayment of student loans, and any other things that are dependent upon you being a full-time student at Hopkins. Another on-campus example is University Experiential Learning; if you are employed as a student at JHU, you are not eligible to hold that position during your period of academic suspension. You should be in touch with your work supervisor and University Experiential Learning. 

Please contact the relevant office directly if you have specific questions about your situation. 

Services Not Affected: 

  • Academic Advising: Your academic advisor will meet with you at least once while you are suspended and is available to meet as frequently as needed.  Our goal is to provide continued support and coaching in the hopes that your reinstatement will be successful.  
  • Public-Facing Spaces: Students can access the library and other public-facing spaces on campus.  

Reinstatement FAQs

Q: What should I do while I’m away? What will increase my chances of being reinstated? 

A: Carefully consider how to use your time away wisely to increase your chances of reinstatement. There is no single set of rules that must be followed while away because the circumstances that led to suspension vary from student to student.  There should be a connection between the challenges you faced and the developmental or corrective action you take.  Below are three steps you will need to take:  

  1.  Reflection: What prevented you from being academically successful? For many students, there is a combination of factors. Be thorough and honest in your assessment. 
  2. Develop and implement a plan to address the issues you have identified. Some common practices include interning, working, seeking counseling, volunteering, etc. Your plan should be unique and tailored to address any challenges you identified during reflection.  For most students, taking classes at another institution should be part of the plan.  Ideally, there should be a connection between your course and intended academic goal.  The intention behind this is to demonstrate the interventions implemented in your plan allow for success in an academic setting.  Grades of “B” or better (not B- or below) are expected in classes completed elsewhere to demonstrate this.  There are a few ways you can take classes:
    • At a not-for-profit institution (ex: community, state, or private school).  These courses are traditional and carry credit.  It might be possible to transfer these credits back to JHU.  Consult the catalogue regarding policies surrounding transfer credits.  It’s highly advisable that you work with your academic advisor to seek pre-approval prior to enrolling in courses at another institution.  
    • There are several free or low-cost options available that are not transferable. Two examples include:
  3. Assemble Materials: Develop and submit a reinstatement packet.  

Q: What should I include in my request for reinstatement? 

A: Please use the Reinstatement Form. It will guide you through the process and provide a template for you to follow. You will be notified in writing about the outcome of your reinstatement request by the Academic Review Committee once your case is reviewed.  

The Reinstatement Form will include the following prompts, and you will need to include the following supplemental information.

  1. A significant portion will include reflective writing which addresses the past, present, and future; analysis of what challenges you faced during the problematic semester(s) you were enrolled at Hopkins, what you did (and why) while you were away, and what you will do differently at Hopkins to ensure success in the upcoming semester. These questions include:
    • Please respond below with a brief description of how you have spent your time away from Johns Hopkins University.  
    • Reflect on your academic performance to this point. Provide a description of events and/or conditions prompting your unsatisfactory performance in the semester that led to your academic suspension.
    • Describe your use of time away from Johns Hopkins University (Part I). Demonstrate how your time away from full-time academic pursuits helped address the factors that led to your previous academic performance.
    • Describe your use of time away from Johns Hopkins University (Part II). Did you follow any of the suggestions outlined in your suspension letter? If so, mention them below. If not, please explain why.
    • Demonstration of readiness for future success. Please provide a brief outline of strategies you will implement and resources you will utilize to allow for a more successful semester if you are reinstated. Please specifically link these strategies and resources to any challenges you faced previously. You may also use this prompt to address any details about planned changes to your field of study (major/minor) if applicable.
  2. A detailed semester-by-semester plan for completing all degree requirements is encouraged. Minimally, you will need to submit a plan for the next two semesters. This exercise will provide you with a graduation plan and an opportunity to further understand the curriculum in your major. The plan should consider prerequisites and workload demand. If you are changing majors, this plan will need to be reviewed and signed by either the Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS), academic program administrator, or faculty advisor connected to the department which houses the major. It’s encouraged that all plans are reviewed and signed by your faculty advisor.
  3. An official transcript if you have taken classes elsewhere. If an official transcript is not available by the time you apply for reinstatement, submit course progress information from the instructor. (Please note that a final decision regarding reinstatement may not be reached until a complete official transcript has been received.)
  4. Appropriate supplemental materials. For example, a recommendation letter from a supervisor where you have been employed or volunteered. If your issues were mental/physical health-related, a letter from your health care provider. 

You are encouraged to consult with your professional academic advisor as you prepare your materials. When ready, you can access the Reinstatement Form by clicking here.  

Q: When can I return to JHU? 

A: If this is your first academic suspension, you need to be away from the University for a minimum of one semester (not counting Summer or Intersession). Your reinstatement to the University at this time is neither automatic nor guaranteed. You need to apply for reinstatement through your Academic Advising Office (not the Office of Undergraduate Admissions).

If you have been suspended previously for academic reasons, the mandatory time away from the University is extended to a minimum of one full year.

(Please note that if a student has been academically suspended twice, a third time would result in permanent dismissal from the university.

Q: When should I apply for reinstatement to JHU? 

A:  You may reapply for reinstatement at one of the following times: 

  • Suspended after a Fall semester ➡  apply for the next Fall semester by noon on the second Friday in June  
  • Suspended after a Spring semester ➡ apply for the next Spring semester by noon on the second Friday in November 

International Students: OIS will require new financial documentation, a new letter of admission, and other support documentation pertinent to your particular situation. The dates listed above may not provide enough time to get through an embassy process. You should aim to submit your materials at least one month earlier than the dates listed above. 

Q: What do I do if my request for reinstatement is denied? 

A:   If the Academic Review Committee (ARC) does not feel that your request for reinstatement is strong, they may offer suggestions for improvement (e.g., taking a course at another institution; speaking with a health services professional, etc.). If you follow the suggestions, the likelihood of reinstatement in a future semester will increase. At that time, you would submit a new application for reinstatement. 

Q: Can I appeal the suspension decision? 

A: You might be eligible to submit an appeal to continue academic probation for an additional semester. Prior to submitting an appeal, you will need to meet with your academic advisor to determine if you are eligible. Please note, appeals are not readily granted. If you have had two consecutive semesters of poor academic performance, it is highly recommended that you take the time away from JHU to reflect on your academic and career goals. Eligibility criteria includes demonstration of high engagement throughout the academic probation period, use of all available resources, and an extenuating circumstance (beyond your control) that is high impact and limited in continuity. If you believe you are eligible, you will need to do the following within five business days of receiving your academic suspension notification: 

  1. Meet with your academic advisor to confirm your eligibility  
  2. Once confirmed, you will need to submit the Academic Suspension Appeal Form for ARC review 

The Academic Suspension Appeal Form will guide you through the process and provide a template for you to follow. You will be notified in writing about the outcome of your appeal by the Academic Review Committee once your case is reviewed.  The Academic Suspension Appeal Form will include the following prompts: 

  • Describe any extenuating circumstances and the impact these circumstances had on your academic performance.
  • Describe actions/interventions you took/resources you used in response to the challenges you faced.
  • What do you feel is necessary for you to return to good academic standing next semester? Describe your planned approach and how it differs from the approach you took this semester.
  • In the event that your appeal is not granted, describe your alternative plans (e.g. pursuit of academic coursework at other institutions, employment, volunteering, treatment for health concerns, etc.). 

You will have the opportunity to include supporting documentation (letters of support from academic sources: TA, instructor, tutor, advisor; incomplete grade contract; letter from health provider; documents confirming personal or family emergency, etc). Documentation is not a requirement for your appeal. 

When ready, you can access the Academic Suspension Appeal Form by clicking here.  

Q: Suppose I want to change my major if I’m reinstated, is that allowed? 

A: Yes, changing your major if you’re reinstated is allowed. It is quite common that while away from JHU, some students realize that their academic difficulty was significantly influenced by their choice of major. Researching and exploring another major while on suspension and sharing that in your reinstatement letter is one way to demonstrate that you’ve been reflective about your situation. You should submit a graduation plan reflecting the requirements for your new major. 

Q: Can my financial aid be reinstated? 

A: Yes, but you must first successfully appeal your financial aid suspension status. The Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeal form can be found on the Student Financial Support website. This appeal is in addition to the request for reinstatement to the Engineering Advising Office. 

Q: What are my housing options if I’m reinstated? 

A: Students returning as a 2nd semester first-year student or as a sophomore should plan on residing on-campus, to complete the two-year on-campus residency requirement. Students returning as upperclassmen should plan on securing off-campus accommodations and should contact the Off-Campus Housing Office (410-516-7961, [email protected]) to discuss off-campus housing options.  

Please contact us if you have questions: Engineering Advising Office, [email protected]; 410-516-7395