Questions about the academic program?

Director of Undergraduate Studies, Lilian Lam Josephson
Academic Program Coordinator, Brett Weinstein

Advising Manuals

2021 Undergraduate Advising Manual
View undergraduate advising manuals for students entering 2018 – 2021

Track examples and Degree Checklists

These department-specific degree checklists are a tool for both students and their advisers to verify every student has fulfilled all necessary degree requirements for graduation.

When you meet with your faculty adviser, bring an updated copy of this checklist with you! The ‘General Checklist’ is for students who are not pursuing a track.
Curriculum Examples and Degree Progress Checklists for students entering fall 2021

Class Meeting Information

Freshmen Class Meeting Slideshow for Fall 2022
ChemBE Class Meeting (Open Session) Recording – Spring 2022

Requirement Waiver and Exception Forms

Substitution/Exception/Waiver Form

The procedure for obtaining an exception to any ChemBE requirement is to first meet with your faculty advisor. If your advisor agrees that an exception should be made, you will send an email to the director of undergraduate studies, your faculty advisor, and the academic program coordinator. In this email you should fully and in detail explain a) the exception you are requesting, b) your reasoning for why this exception is warranted, and c) that you have met with your advisor and/or course instructor about this exception and that they are in agreement. The director of undergraduate studies will then evaluate your request and reply to your email to either approve the request or explain why the request cannot be approved. If approved, the academic program coordinator will update your student file in the Degree Audit System to reflect this exception and respond via email to verify this change has been processed.


Students doing research outside of the Engineering School (at the School of Medicine, Krieger School, etc.) may be allowed to use their research credits as engineering elective credits.
Complete the Research Credits Outside of WSE form in your junior year to apply for these credits.



The department’s Safety Resource Center includes information about lab safety requirements.
Additional information about lab safety at JHU can be found on the JHU Lab Safety website.


Student Group

AiChE student chapter