How to apply for federal financial aid: 

  1. Submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online at

    Our School Code is E00473. FAFSA data typically takes 3-5 business days to reach JHU. If you are starting your program in the summer and need aid, you will need to submit two FAFSA applications; one for the school year that is ending and another for the school year beginning in the fall. For example, if you begin in the spring 2021 semester or summer 2021 semester, you must submit both the 2020-21 and 2021-22 FAFSA.

  2. Refer to your JHU SIS account

    If you were selected for verification by the federal processor, refer to your JHU SIS account ( to review your financial aid To Do List for any additional documents that may be required.

  3. Complete loan requirements

    If you are applying for federal student aid for the first time at Johns Hopkins University, you will need to complete your Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling (EC) at Remember to select Johns Hopkins University – ASEN or use school code E00473. We are unable to retrieve your MPN and EC if they are sent to another Hopkins division.

—Application requirements and deadlines

Our graduate programs have rolling admissions

There are no hard or fast deadlines for graduate financial aid, but we recommend that you allow a minimum of two months from the time you submit your aid application until your loan is disbursed to your account.


Mid-April* or Mid-December*

Submission of Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the processor. Our school code is E00473.

Submission of signed copy of federal income tax returns, all pages and W-2’s or Statement of Non-Filing. REQUIRED ONLY IF SELECTED FOR VERIFICATION.

*If you wish to be considered for financial aid for summer, fall only, and/or academic year expenses.

**First-time applicants if you wish to be considered for financial aid spring semester only expenses.


Financial aid award notices e-mailed to students planning to enroll for summer, fall only and the full academic year.

First Week of July

Fall semester bills sent.

First Week of December

Spring semester bills sent.

Additional Information

Aid is NOT automatically renewed each year. You must file the FAFSA each year to reapply.

To see the most up to date information regarding your financial aid status and billing information, please log into your JHU SIS account. Did you know you could do the following in your SIS account?

  • Check your award status
  • Accept/decline your awards
  • Check for any required documents
  • Pay your bill
  • Review your account summary
  • Add an authorized user

Click here to learn five tips on borrowing student loans!

Eligibility Criteria

The Office of Student Enrollment and Account Management (SEAM) only awards federal aid to graduate students. Fully admitted students are eligible to receive up to $20,500 annually in federal unsubsidized loans. Provisionally admitted students may qualify for less than $20,500 in federal unsubsidized loans. Conditionally admitted students do not qualify for federal student aid. In addition, students must:

  • Be enrolled or accepted into a graduate program leading to a degree or certificate,
  • Be a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen (see Citizenship Documentation below),
  • Be enrolled halftime in 4.5 credits, generally two courses (not including audited courses) during the semesters in which they wish to borrow a federal loan.
  • Not be in default on a Federal Direct or Stafford Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, or owe a refund for a Federal Pell Grant or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) at any institution (students whose loans were dismissed because of bankruptcy are considered to be in default and are not eligible for federal aid),

Click here to learn seven facts about Federal Student Aid eligibility!

Citizenship Documentation

You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to apply for federal student financial aid. You may be required to submit additional citizenship documentation based on your FAFSA.

One of the following may be required to document U.S. citizenship:

  • A copy of a birth certificate showing that the student was born in the U.S.
  • A copy of a U.S. passport
  • A State Department document showing a birth of a U.S. citizen abroad (FS240, FS545, DS1350)
  • A certificate of citizenship through a U.S. parent (N560, N561)
  • A certificate of naturalization (N550, N570)

One of the following is required to document status as a U.S. permanent resident:

  • A Permanent Resident Card (formerly Resident Alien Card) – I-551 (older version I-151 should have been replaced with I-551 but may be accepted)
  • An I-94 document that has been stamped “processed for I-551” and has an expiration date valid through the academic year