Information about loans for graduate students can be found on JHU’s Office of Financial Aid website. Loans are not handled through the Whiting School of Engineering.


Teaching and research assistantships are awarded by the individual graduate programs and amounts vary by program. Most departments accept candidates with a bachelor’s degree directly into their doctoral programs. Only limited assistantship support is available for terminal master’s students.

Dean’s Master’s Fellowships

Students who have graduated with a Johns Hopkins University undergraduate degree will automatically earn a Dean’s Master’s Fellowship, covering half of the tuition for every semester of full-time, residential enrollment (fall and spring semesters only; summers and intersessions are not included; EP courses are not included) in a WSE master’s degree program, provided they have either: (a) completed eight full-time * semesters of study at Johns Hopkins, or (b) have not been enrolled at Johns Hopkins for at least one year. Students who are pursuing JHU combined bachelor’s/master’s degrees who have not yet completed eight full-time semesters at JHU, and have retained undergraduate status, are eligible to continue to apply for undergraduate financial aid through the Office of Student Financial Services. There is typically a 4 semester-limit on the Dean’s Master’s Fellowship funding. Extensions may be requested (but are not guaranteed) through the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Academic Affairs (please email [email protected]).

*Students who took advantage of the COVID-19 Graduating Senior Course Drop Option in the Spring 2020 semester will remain eligible for the Dean’s Master’s Fellowship (even if they changed to part-time status in their eighth semester), provided they meet all other criteria and have completed seven semesters of full-time status.

Internal Fellowships

To be eligible for Whiting School graduate fellowships, students must first apply to a graduate program. Students are automatically considered for fellowships upon application. Current students are also automatically considered for fellowships.

PLEASE NOTE: only full-time, degree-seeking graduate students in the School of Engineering are eligible for WSE graduate fellowships.

External Fellowships

External fellowships are awarded by agencies outside Johns Hopkins University.