Primary Appointment: Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Renewable energy conversion and storage
- Nanoengineering and nanophotonics
- Scalable fabrication
- Quantum optics
Susanna Thon’s research is in the field of nanomaterials engineering for optoelectronic devices, with a specific focus on renewable energy conversion and storage. Her work applies techniques from nanophotonics and scalable fabrication to produce devices and materials with novel optical and electrical functionality. She obtained her Bachelors degree in Physics from MIT in 2005 and her Masters (2008) and PhD (2010) in Physics from the University of California Santa Barbara. Prior to coming to Johns Hopkins, she was a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Toronto.
Solution-processed technologies, such as semiconductor nanocrystals, offer an attractive route towards achieving these goals.Learn More
Design, fabricate, and characterize new plasmonic-catalytic systems based on nanoparticles containing aluminum to enhance light absorption in titanium dioxideLearn More
- Xie T, Hasan MR, Qiu B, Arinze ES, Nguyen NV, Motayed A, Thon SM, Debnath R (2015). High-performing visible-blind photodetectors based on SnO2/CuO nanoheterojunctions. Applied Physics Letters. 107(24).
- Carey GH, Abdelhady AL, Ning Z, Thon SM, Bakr OM, Sargent EH (2015). Colloidal Quantum Dot Solar Cells. Chemical Reviews. 115(23).
- Labelle AJ, Thon SM, Kim JY, Lan X, Zhitomirsky D, Kemp KW, Sargent EH (2015). Conformal fabrication of colloidal quantum dot solids for optically enhanced photovoltaics. ACS Nano. 9(5).
- Labelle AJ, Thon SM, Masala S, Adachi MM, Dong H, Farahani M, Ip AH, Fratalocchi A, Sargent EH (2015). Colloidal quantum dot solar cells exploiting hierarchical structuring. Nano Letters. 15(2).
- Kramer IJ, Minor JC, Moreno-Bautista G, Rollny L, Kanjanaboos P, Kopilovic D, Thon SM, Carey GH, Chou KWe, Zhitomirsky D, Amassian A, Sargent EH (2015). Efficient spray-coated colloidal quantum dot solar cells. Advanced materials (Deerfield Beach, Fla.). 27(1).
- Arinze ES, Nyirjesy G, Cheng Y, PalmquisT. N, Thon SM (2015). Colloidal quantum dot materials for infrared optoelectronics. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering. 9608.
- Arinze ES, Nyirjesy G, Cheng Y, Palmquist N, Thon S (2015). Colloidal quantum dot materials for infrared optoelectronics. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering. 9608.