Those eligible to enroll in the online Responsible Conduct of Research training course will use a website sponsored by the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) for all training efforts. You do not need to register for any course in SIS. Simply follow the steps below to complete the online CITI course. Within six weeks after course completion, the following entry will appear on your JHU transcript: “AS.360.624 – Responsible Conduct of Research (Online)”.
NOTE: Visiting Students may not have a JHU transcript. A visiting student should make sure to present the certificate of completion to his/her program administrator.
Steps for Creating a CITI Account and Completing the RCR Training
- Go to: https://www.citiprogram.org/Default.asp.
- If you already have a CITI account, sign into your account and proceed to step #5.
- If you are a new user to the CITI Program, register to create an account by clicking on “New Users Register Here”. Select “Johns Hopkins University” under “Participating Institutions”.
- Enter your member information and create your username and password. These will be used to re-enter the course or to obtain completion information, so be sure to remember and retain these for later use. Do not select the CME/CEU credits option.
- On the next screen, you will be prompted to select your curriculum. Select the second option: “Yes, I need/want to take the course on Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR).”
- You will then be taken to a page where you need to select the RCR curriculum you want to take. Select the “Responsible Conduct of Research for Engineers” course.
- The next page asks if you wish to register with another institution. You shouldn’t need to do so.
- Scroll down until you see “My Courses”. Under “Status” for “Responsible Conduct of Research for Engineers, Basic Course”, you will see “Not Started – Enter”. Click “Enter” to be taken to the course.
- Complete the course as required. You do not have to complete the course all in one sitting; you are allowed to use multiple log-on sessions. The minimum passing aggregate score for the quizzes is 80%. A running tally is compiled in the Grade Book. If you want to improve a score on a quiz, you may repeat any quiz in which you didn’t score 100% correct.
- Print out a copy of the curriculum completion report for your files and save a copy to your computer as well.
- Present a copy of your curriculum completion report to your departmental administrator as evidence of requirement compliance. At that point, you will be eligible to be paid. You can return to the course site in the future to obtain additional copies of the completion report.
- If you determine that you must return to CITI to complete another training module as a result of participation in human subjects research, log onto the system using your username and password, and you will be brought to the “Main Menu” page. Select the appropriate curriculum and complete the course. As with the RCR course, save a copy of the curriculum completion report and present it to your departmental administrator as evidence of requirement compliance. Again, you will be expected to score at least 80% on the quizzes.
Instructions for Faculty Members/Administrators
The student should either present a paper copy of the curriculum completion report to you or send you an electronic version via email. All students required to undergo online RCR training should have completed the course entitled “Responsible Conduct of Research for Engineers”. The far right column of the report displays his/her scores. The student’s aggregate score must be 80% or higher. This score can be calculated by adding all questions answered correctly by the total number of questions (times 100). If the student’s aggregate score is not at the required level, please advise the student to retake the exam(s).