Find answers to your questions and the resources you need…

Computer and Library Resources

Students and researchers are welcome to use the computer facilities located in the Milton S. Eisenhower Library and the Brody Learning Commons.

Laptops, pads, and software are available at a discount student rate when purchased through Hopkins.

Visit the Johns Hopkins Library page for information about our libraries.

Mail Room

The mail room, located on the second floor of Maryland Hall in room 205, is where students can pick up packages and check their mailboxes. Inside the mailroom is the Canon iR-ADV 6055/6065 printer.

Facilities and Training

All students who utilize the labs within Maryland Hall are required to conduct themselves with responsibility and due diligence. Researchers in select laboratories will be issued lab coats and goggles, depending on the type of materials used in the labs. Learn more about the Materials Characterization and Processing (MCP) core facility on the Lab Facilities and Training website.



For information on taxes, including deductions and filing taxes, visit these pages:

Visit ESS, or “Employee Self-Service” to view your pay statement, or pay “stub” as they were called when paper paychecks were the only option before Direct Deposit started.

  • Go to and sign in with your JHED ID and password.
  • Select the “HR” tab and then the “ESS” tab.
  • Sign in again with your JHED ID and password.
  • Select the “Payroll Info” tab and you will see the pay statement.

International Students


The Office of International Services supports the international students, scholars, and faculty associated with Johns Hopkins University. Through a variety of services and programs, the OIS helps ensure that the legal, cultural, and other special needs of our international communities are met,

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a type of off-campus work permission available to certain eligible F-1 students. CPT is described by USCIS as employment which is “an integral part of an established curriculum.” CPT is not to be used merely to facilitate employment for the international student.


A Social Security Number, or SSN, is needed for all international students who are paid a salary through student employment or graduate financial aid.

Visit the OIS’s Social Security Number page to find out how to obtain one.


The OIS helps with visas: J-1, F-1, and others.

Travel Registry

The International Travel Registry provides an easy-to-use way for those traveling internationally on university-related business to register their travel plans.

In partnership with International SOS, registered travelers will receive assistance with pre-travel preparations, including notifications about the destination country, risks, and prevention measures.

Be sure to create your own Travel Profile so staff can contact and support you in the event that there is a natural disaster, political unrest or other emergency situation in locations where you travel.

University Postdoc Associations