Financial Aid

Merit and need-based grants, work-study opportunities, and federal student loans to undergraduate students are administered by the Office of Student Financial Services. This office also provides access to federal student loans and work-study opportunities for graduate students.


Master’s Degree Students

Students who have graduated with a Johns Hopkins University undergraduate degree automatically earn a Dean’s Master’s Fellowship covering half of tuition for every semester of full-time enrollment in a WSE master’s degree program, provided they have either: (a) completed eight full-time semesters of study at Johns Hopkins, or (b) have not been enrolled at JHU for at least one year.

Students pursuing a combined bachelor’s and master’s degree who have not yet completed eight full-time semesters of study at JHU, and have retained undergraduate status, are eligible to continue to apply for undergraduate financial aid through the Office of Student Financial Services.

Students who have completed all the coursework, other than research, required for an MSE degree in Materials Science and Engineering and are in good academic standing may be eligible for a Master’s Research Scholarship.  Please see the following form for details.

PhD Students

Financial aid for full-time PhD candidates is provided directly from the Department of Materials Science and Engineering in the form of research assistantships and fellowships. All applicants to the PhD program are automatically considered for financial aid; there is no separate application.

Assistantships include:

  • Full tuition support (80% tuition remission, with the remaining 20% covered either by the student’s research advisor or by the department via fellowships)
  • Stipend for living expenses ($30,200 for the 2013-2014 academic year)
  • Individual health insurance

A list of estimated expenses for graduate study is available on the JHU Graduate Admissions website.

Qualified PhD students are strongly encouraged to apply for external fellowships. These prestigious awards provide significant flexibility in the choice of advisor and research program. Examples include:


Back to top