Skip to main content

Graduate Financial Aid


Information on loans for graduate students can be found at the Johns Hopkins Office of Financial Aid (visit either the domestic or international students page). Loans are not handled through the Whiting School of Engineering.



Teaching and research assistantships are awarded by the individual graduate programs. Amounts vary by program. Most departments accept candidates with a bachelor’s degree directly into their doctoral programs. Only limited assistantship support is available for terminal master’s students.


Dean’s Master’s Fellowships

Students who have graduated with a Johns Hopkins University undergraduate degree automatically earn a Dean’s Master’s Fellowship covering half of tuition for every semester of full-time, resident enrollment (fall and spring semesters only; summers and intersessions are not included; and EP courses are not included) in a WSE master’s degree program, provided they have either: (a) completed eight full-time * semesters of study at Johns Hopkins, or (b) have not been enrolled at Johns Hopkins for at least one year.   Students who are pursuing JHU combined bachelor’s/master’s degrees at the same time who have not yet completed eight full-time semesters of study at JHU, and have retained undergraduate status, are eligible to continue to apply for undergraduate financial aid through the Office of Student Financial Services.

*Students who took advantage of the COVID-19 Graduating Senior Course Drop Option in the Spring 2020 semester  will remain eligible for the Dean’s Master’s Fellowship (even if they  changed to a part time status in their 8th semester) provided they meet all other criteria and have completed 7 semesters of full time status.

Internal Fellowships

To be eligible for Whiting School graduate fellowships, all students need to do is apply to a graduate program.  Students are automatically considered for fellowships upon application.  Current students are also automatically considered for fellowships.

PLEASE NOTE: only full-time degree-seeking graduate students in the Whiting School of Engineering are eligible for WSE graduate fellowships.


External Fellowships

External Fellowships are awarded by agencies outside of Johns Hopkins University.  We have provided links to some of these fellowship information pages.

Back to top