environmental chemistry, exposome science, water treatment, environmental health
Carsten Prasse, an assistant professor of environmental health and engineering, focuses on the occurrence and fate of organic contaminants in the urban water cycle and their impact on environmental and human health.
His recent research efforts have focused on the development of new screening methods to assess exposure to drinking water contaminants. Prasse also has experience detecting environmental contaminants and studying the so-called “transformation products” that are formed as chemicals are degraded during water treatment and in the environment. His work has demonstrated that these transformation products may be even more toxic than the parent chemicals. Prasse’s research also has evaluated wastewater treatment technologies, and investigated water quality and exposure to poisonous chemicals.
Prasse employs state-of-the-art analytical chemistry techniques, such as high-resolution mass spectrometry. To determine which compounds are most threatening to human and environmental health, Prasse uses concepts and methods from toxicology and public health. His goal is to develop new methods to inform water treatment technology development, comprehensively assess water quality and characterize the drinking water exposome—the exposure to and impacts of chemicals present in drinking water.
Current projects include developing new technologies to remove contaminants from wastewater and drinking water, methods to assess the impact of chemical exposures to human health, and investigations of the presence of agrochemicals in manure from concentrated animal feeding operations.
Prasse is a member of the American Chemical Society, the German Water Chemistry Society, the Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors and the Society of Toxicology. He is an ad hoc reviewer for the journals Environmental Science & Technology, Water Research, Environmental Science & Technology Letters, Science of the Total Environment, Chemosphere, Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, and for the Swiss National Science Foundation.
Prasse received his BSc and MSc degrees in environmental sciences from the University of Bayreuth, Germany, in 2005 and 2008, respectively. He earned a PhD in environmental chemistry from the University of Koblenz-Landau, also in Germany, in 2012. Prasse then did postdoctoral work in environmental chemistry at the German Federal Institute of Hydrology and in environmental engineering/environmental health at the University of California, Berkeley, before joining the faculty of the Whiting School of Engineering and the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in 2018.
- Ph.D. 2008, University Koblenz-Landau
- Master of Science 2005, University of Bayreuth
- Prasse, Carsten; Ford, Breanna; Nomura, Daniel K; Sedlak, David L (2018). Unexpected transformation of dissolved phenols to toxic dicarbonyls by hydroxyl radicals and UV light. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 115(10). 2311-2316.
- Hedegaard, Mathilde J; Deliniere, Hélène; Prasse, Carsten; Dechesne, Arnaud; Smets, Barth F; Albrechtsen, Hans-Jørgen (2018). Evidence of co-metabolic bentazone transformation by methanotrophic enrichment from a groundwater-fed rapid sand filter. Water research. 129. 105-114.
- Brezina, Elena; Prasse, Carsten; Meyer, Johannes; Mückter, Harald; Ternes, Thomas A (2017). Investigation and risk evaluation of the occurrence of carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, their human metabolites and transformation products in the urban water cycle. Environmental Pollution. 225. 261-269.
- Barazesh, James M; Prasse, Carsten; Wenk, Jannis; Berg, Stephanie; Remucal, Christina K; Sedlak, David L (2017). Trace Element Removal in Distributed Drinking Water Treatment Systems by Cathodic H2O2 Production and UV Photolysis. Environmental science & technology.
- Ternes, Thomas A; Prasse, Carsten; Eversloh, Christian Lütke; Knopp, Gregor; Cornel, Peter; Schulte-Oehlmann, Ulrike; Schwartz, Thomas; Alexander, Johannes; Seitz, Wolfram; Coors, Anja (2016). Integrated evaluation concept to assess the efficacy of advanced wastewater treatment processes for the elimination of micropollutants and pathogens. Environmental science & technology. 51(1). 308-319.
- Maier, Michael P; Prasse, Carsten; Pati, Sarah G; Nitsche, Sebastian; Li, Zhe; Radke, Michael; Meyer, Armin; Hofstetter, Thomas B; Ternes, Thomas A; Elsner, Martin (2016). Exploring trends of C and N isotope fractionation to trace transformation reactions of diclofenac in natural and engineered systems. Environmental science & technology. 50(20). 10933-10942.
- Barazesh, James M; Prasse, Carsten; Sedlak, David L (2016). Electrochemical transformation of trace organic contaminants in the presence of halide and carbonate ions. Environmental science & technology. 50(18). 10143-10152.
- Bollmann, Anna Franka; Seitz, Wolfram; Prasse, Carsten; Lucke, Thomas; Schulz, Wolfgang; Ternes, Thomas (2016). Occurrence and fate of amisulpride, sulpiride, and lamotrigine in municipal wastewater treatment plants with biological treatment and ozonation. Journal of hazardous materials. 320. 204-215.
- Knopp, Gregor; Prasse, Carsten; Ternes, Thomas A; Cornel, Peter (2016). Elimination of micropollutants and transformation products from a wastewater treatment plant effluent through pilot scale ozonation followed by various activated carbon and biological filters. Water research. 100. 580-592.
- Funke, Jan; Prasse, Carsten; Ternes, Thomas A (2016). Identification of transformation products of antiviral drugs formed during biological wastewater treatment and their occurrence in the urban water cycle. Water research. 98. 75-83.
- Liu, Haizhou; Bruton, Thomas A; Li, Wei; Buren, Jean Van; Prasse, Carsten; Doyle, Fiona M; Sedlak, David L (2016). Oxidation of benzene by persulfate in the presence of Fe (III)-and Mn (IV)-containing oxides: stoichiometric efficiency and transformation products. Environmental science & technology. 50(2). 890-898.
- Prasse, Carsten; Wenk, Jannis; Jasper, Justin T; Ternes, Thomas A; Sedlak, David L (2015). Co-occurrence of photochemical and microbiological transformation processes in open-water unit process wetlands. Environmental science & technology. 49(24). 14136-14145.
- Schlüter-Vorberg, Lisa; Prasse, Carsten; Ternes, Thomas A; Mückter, Harald; Coors, Anja (2015). Toxification by transformation in conventional and advanced wastewater treatment: the antiviral drug acyclovir. Environmental Science & Technology Letters. 2(12). 342-346.
- Prasse, Carsten; Stalter, Daniel; Schulte-Oehlmann, Ulrike; Oehlmann, Jörg; Ternes, Thomas A (2015). Spoilt for choice: A critical review on the chemical and biological assessment of current wastewater treatment technologies. Water research. 87. 237-270.
- Funke, Jan; Prasse, Carsten; Eversloh, Christian Lütke; Ternes, Thomas A (2015). Oxypurinol–a novel marker for wastewater contamination of the aquatic environment. Water research. 74. 257-265.
- Brezina, Elena; Prasse, Carsten; Wagner, Manfred; Ternes, Thomas A (2015). Why small differences matter: elucidation of the mechanisms underlying the transformation of 2OH-and 3OH-carbamazepine in contact with sand filter material. Environmental science & technology. 49(17). 10449-10456.
- Kaiser, Elena; Prasse, Carsten; Wagner, Manfred; Bröder, Kathrin; Ternes, Thomas A (2014). Transformation of oxcarbazepine and human metabolites of carbamazepine and oxcarbazepine in wastewater treatment and sand filters. Environmental science & technology. 48(17). 10208-10216.
- De Laurentiis, Elisa; Prasse, Carsten; Ternes, Thomas A; Minella, Marco; Maurino, Valter; Minero, Claudio; Sarakha, Mohamed; Brigante, Marcello; Vione, Davide (2014). Assessing the photochemical transformation pathways of acetaminophen relevant to surface waters: transformation kinetics, intermediates, and modelling. Water research. 53. 235-248.
- Oehlmann, Jörg; Schulte‐Oehlmann, Ulrike; Prasse, Carsten; Ternes, Thomas A (2014). In Response: What are the challenges and prospects? An academic perspective. Environmental toxicology and chemistry. 33(11). 2408-2410.
- Benner, Jessica; Helbling, Damian E; Kohler, Hans-Peter E; Wittebol, Janneke; Kaiser, Elena; Prasse, Carsten; Ternes, Thomas A; Albers, Christian N; Aamand, Jens; Horemans, Benjamin (2013). Is biological treatment a viable alternative for micropollutant removal in drinking water treatment processes?. Water research. 47(16). 5955-5976.
- Prasse, Carsten; Wagner, Manfred; Schulz, Ralf; Ternes, Thomas A (2012). Oxidation of the antiviral drug acyclovir and its biodegradation product carboxy-acyclovir with ozone: kinetics and identification of oxidation products. Environmental science & technology. 46(4). 2169-2178.
- Prasse, Carsten; Zech, Wolfgang; Itanna, Fiseha; Glaser, Bruno (2012). Contamination and source assessment of metals, polychlorinated biphenyls, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in urban soils from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Toxicological and Environmental Chemistry. 94(10). 1954-1979.
- Prasse, Carsten; Wagner, Manfred; Schulz, Ralf; Ternes, Thomas A (2011). Biotransformation of the antiviral drugs acyclovir and penciclovir in activated sludge treatment. Environmental science & technology. 45(7). 2761-2769.
- Duester, Lars; Prasse, Carsten; Vogel, Julia V; Vink, Jos PM; Schaumann, Gabriele E (2011). Translocation of Sb and Ti in an undisturbed floodplain soil after application of Sb 2 O 3 and TiO 2 nanoparticles to the surface. Journal of Environmental Monitoring. 13(5). 1204-1211.
- Dabrunz, André; Duester, Lars; Prasse, Carsten; Seitz, Frank; Rosenfeldt, Ricki; Schilde, Carsten; Schaumann, Gabriele E; Schulz, Ralf (2011). Biological surface coating and molting inhibition as mechanisms of TiO2 nanoparticle toxicity in Daphnia magna. PLoS One. 6(5). e20112.
- Prasse, Carsten; Schlüsener, Michael P; Schulz, Ralf; Ternes, Thomas A (2010). Antiviral drugs in wastewater and surface waters: a new pharmaceutical class of environmental relevance?. Environmental science & technology. 44(5). 1728-1735.
- Slootweg, Tineke; Alvinerie, Michel; Egeler, Philipp; Gilberg, Daniel; Kukkonen, Jussi VK; Oehlmann, Jörg; Prasse, Carsten; Sormunen, Arto J; Liebig, Markus (2010). Bioaccumulation of ivermectin from natural and artificial sediments in the benthic organism Lumbriculus variegatus. Journal of soils and sediments. 10(8). 1611-1622.
- Liebig, Markus; Fernandez, Álvaro Alonso; Blübaum‐Gronau, Elke; Boxall, Alistair; Brinke, Marvin; Carbonell, Gregoria; Egeler, Philipp; Fenner, Kathrin; Fernandez, Carlos; Fink, Guido (2010). Environmental risk assessment of ivermectin: a case study. Integrated environmental assessment and management. 6(S1). 567-587.
- Liebig, Markus; Fernandez, Álvaro Alonso; Blübaum‐Gronau, Elke; Boxall, Alistair; Brinke, Marvin; Carbonell, Gregoria; Egeler, Philipp; Fenner, Kathrin; Fernandez, Carlos; Fink, Guido (2010). Erratum: Environmental risk assessment of ivermectin: A case study. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management. 6(4). 790-790.
- Prasse, Carsten; Löffler, Dirk; Ternes, Thomas A (2009). Environmental fate of the anthelmintic ivermectin in an aerobic sediment/water system. Chemosphere. 77(10). 1321-1325.
- Prasse, C; Ternes, TA (2016). Application of Orbitrap Mass Spectrometry for the Identification of Transformation Products of Trace Organic Contaminants Formed in the Environment. Comprehensive Analytical Chemistry. 71. 263-282.
- Prasse, Carsten; Ternes, Thomas (2010). Removal of organic and inorganic pollutants and pathogens from wastewater and drinking water using nanoparticles–a review. Nanoparticles in the water cycle. 55-79.