environmental chemistry, exposome science, water treatment, environmental health
Carsten Prasse’s research is driven by a fascination with water chemistry and a deep concern about the public and environmental health impacts of chemicals present in our water. He investigates the fate of contaminants in the built and natural environment using state-of-the-art analytical chemistry techniques (e.g. high-resolution mass spectrometry) with the focus on identifying transformation products and understanding underlying mechanisms of transformation in the urban water cycle. Prioritizing which compounds are most threatening to human and environmental health is a great challenge given that thousands of chemicals are present in our waters. To tackle this problem, Carsten’s research has recently focused on using concepts and methods from toxicology and public health. This work is interdisciplinary with the goal of developing new methodologies to inform water treatment technology development, comprehensively assess water quality and characterize the drinking water exposome.
Carsten received his Diploma (i.e. Master’s degree) in Geoecology at the University of Bayreuth, Germany, where he studied the pollution of urban soils in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Carsten received his PhD in Chemistry at the Federal Institute of Hydrology in Koblenz, Germany. His PhD thesis was honored with the dissertation award of the German Water Chemistry Society. Carsten did his postdoctoral work at the Federal Institute of Hydrology and the University of California at Berkeley, where he investigated the degradation of organic contaminants by advanced oxidation processes and in-situ chemical oxidation with particular focus on the potential impacts on environmental and public health.
- Prasse, Carsten; Ford, Breanna; Nomura, Daniel K; Sedlak, David L (2018). Unexpected transformation of dissolved phenols to toxic dicarbonyls by hydroxyl radicals and UV light. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 115(10). 2311-2316.
- Hedegaard, Mathilde J; Deliniere, Hélène; Prasse, Carsten; Dechesne, Arnaud; Smets, Barth F; Albrechtsen, Hans-Jørgen (2018). Evidence of co-metabolic bentazone transformation by methanotrophic enrichment from a groundwater-fed rapid sand filter. Water research. 129. 105-114.
- Brezina, Elena; Prasse, Carsten; Meyer, Johannes; Mückter, Harald; Ternes, Thomas A (2017). Investigation and risk evaluation of the occurrence of carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, their human metabolites and transformation products in the urban water cycle. Environmental Pollution. 225. 261-269.
- Barazesh, James M; Prasse, Carsten; Wenk, Jannis; Berg, Stephanie; Remucal, Christina K; Sedlak, David L (2017). Trace Element Removal in Distributed Drinking Water Treatment Systems by Cathodic H2O2 Production and UV Photolysis. Environmental science & technology.
- Ternes, Thomas A; Prasse, Carsten; Eversloh, Christian Lütke; Knopp, Gregor; Cornel, Peter; Schulte-Oehlmann, Ulrike; Schwartz, Thomas; Alexander, Johannes; Seitz, Wolfram; Coors, Anja (2016). Integrated evaluation concept to assess the efficacy of advanced wastewater treatment processes for the elimination of micropollutants and pathogens. Environmental science & technology. 51(1). 308-319.
- Maier, Michael P; Prasse, Carsten; Pati, Sarah G; Nitsche, Sebastian; Li, Zhe; Radke, Michael; Meyer, Armin; Hofstetter, Thomas B; Ternes, Thomas A; Elsner, Martin (2016). Exploring trends of C and N isotope fractionation to trace transformation reactions of diclofenac in natural and engineered systems. Environmental science & technology. 50(20). 10933-10942.
- Barazesh, James M; Prasse, Carsten; Sedlak, David L (2016). Electrochemical transformation of trace organic contaminants in the presence of halide and carbonate ions. Environmental science & technology. 50(18). 10143-10152.
- Bollmann, Anna Franka; Seitz, Wolfram; Prasse, Carsten; Lucke, Thomas; Schulz, Wolfgang; Ternes, Thomas (2016). Occurrence and fate of amisulpride, sulpiride, and lamotrigine in municipal wastewater treatment plants with biological treatment and ozonation. Journal of hazardous materials. 320. 204-215.
- Knopp, Gregor; Prasse, Carsten; Ternes, Thomas A; Cornel, Peter (2016). Elimination of micropollutants and transformation products from a wastewater treatment plant effluent through pilot scale ozonation followed by various activated carbon and biological filters. Water research. 100. 580-592.
- Funke, Jan; Prasse, Carsten; Ternes, Thomas A (2016). Identification of transformation products of antiviral drugs formed during biological wastewater treatment and their occurrence in the urban water cycle. Water research. 98. 75-83.
- Liu, Haizhou; Bruton, Thomas A; Li, Wei; Buren, Jean Van; Prasse, Carsten; Doyle, Fiona M; Sedlak, David L (2016). Oxidation of benzene by persulfate in the presence of Fe (III)-and Mn (IV)-containing oxides: stoichiometric efficiency and transformation products. Environmental science & technology. 50(2). 890-898.
- Prasse, Carsten; Wenk, Jannis; Jasper, Justin T; Ternes, Thomas A; Sedlak, David L (2015). Co-occurrence of photochemical and microbiological transformation processes in open-water unit process wetlands. Environmental science & technology. 49(24). 14136-14145.
- Schlüter-Vorberg, Lisa; Prasse, Carsten; Ternes, Thomas A; Mückter, Harald; Coors, Anja (2015). Toxification by transformation in conventional and advanced wastewater treatment: the antiviral drug acyclovir. Environmental Science & Technology Letters. 2(12). 342-346.
- Prasse, Carsten; Stalter, Daniel; Schulte-Oehlmann, Ulrike; Oehlmann, Jörg; Ternes, Thomas A (2015). Spoilt for choice: A critical review on the chemical and biological assessment of current wastewater treatment technologies. Water research. 87. 237-270.
- Funke, Jan; Prasse, Carsten; Eversloh, Christian Lütke; Ternes, Thomas A (2015). Oxypurinol–a novel marker for wastewater contamination of the aquatic environment. Water research. 74. 257-265.
- Brezina, Elena; Prasse, Carsten; Wagner, Manfred; Ternes, Thomas A (2015). Why small differences matter: elucidation of the mechanisms underlying the transformation of 2OH-and 3OH-carbamazepine in contact with sand filter material. Environmental science & technology. 49(17). 10449-10456.
- Kaiser, Elena; Prasse, Carsten; Wagner, Manfred; Bröder, Kathrin; Ternes, Thomas A (2014). Transformation of oxcarbazepine and human metabolites of carbamazepine and oxcarbazepine in wastewater treatment and sand filters. Environmental science & technology. 48(17). 10208-10216.
- De Laurentiis, Elisa; Prasse, Carsten; Ternes, Thomas A; Minella, Marco; Maurino, Valter; Minero, Claudio; Sarakha, Mohamed; Brigante, Marcello; Vione, Davide (2014). Assessing the photochemical transformation pathways of acetaminophen relevant to surface waters: transformation kinetics, intermediates, and modelling. Water research. 53. 235-248.
- Oehlmann, Jörg; Schulte‐Oehlmann, Ulrike; Prasse, Carsten; Ternes, Thomas A (2014). In Response: What are the challenges and prospects? An academic perspective. Environmental toxicology and chemistry. 33(11). 2408-2410.
- Benner, Jessica; Helbling, Damian E; Kohler, Hans-Peter E; Wittebol, Janneke; Kaiser, Elena; Prasse, Carsten; Ternes, Thomas A; Albers, Christian N; Aamand, Jens; Horemans, Benjamin (2013). Is biological treatment a viable alternative for micropollutant removal in drinking water treatment processes?. Water research. 47(16). 5955-5976.
- Prasse, Carsten; Wagner, Manfred; Schulz, Ralf; Ternes, Thomas A (2012). Oxidation of the antiviral drug acyclovir and its biodegradation product carboxy-acyclovir with ozone: kinetics and identification of oxidation products. Environmental science & technology. 46(4). 2169-2178.
- Prasse, Carsten; Zech, Wolfgang; Itanna, Fiseha; Glaser, Bruno (2012). Contamination and source assessment of metals, polychlorinated biphenyls, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in urban soils from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Toxicological and Environmental Chemistry. 94(10). 1954-1979.
- Prasse, Carsten; Wagner, Manfred; Schulz, Ralf; Ternes, Thomas A (2011). Biotransformation of the antiviral drugs acyclovir and penciclovir in activated sludge treatment. Environmental science & technology. 45(7). 2761-2769.
- Duester, Lars; Prasse, Carsten; Vogel, Julia V; Vink, Jos PM; Schaumann, Gabriele E (2011). Translocation of Sb and Ti in an undisturbed floodplain soil after application of Sb 2 O 3 and TiO 2 nanoparticles to the surface. Journal of Environmental Monitoring. 13(5). 1204-1211.
- Dabrunz, André; Duester, Lars; Prasse, Carsten; Seitz, Frank; Rosenfeldt, Ricki; Schilde, Carsten; Schaumann, Gabriele E; Schulz, Ralf (2011). Biological surface coating and molting inhibition as mechanisms of TiO2 nanoparticle toxicity in Daphnia magna. PLoS One. 6(5). e20112.
- Prasse, Carsten; Schlüsener, Michael P; Schulz, Ralf; Ternes, Thomas A (2010). Antiviral drugs in wastewater and surface waters: a new pharmaceutical class of environmental relevance?. Environmental science & technology. 44(5). 1728-1735.
- Liebig, Markus; Fernandez, Álvaro Alonso; Blübaum‐Gronau, Elke; Boxall, Alistair; Brinke, Marvin; Carbonell, Gregoria; Egeler, Philipp; Fenner, Kathrin; Fernandez, Carlos; Fink, Guido (2010). Erratum: Environmental risk assessment of ivermectin: A case study. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management. 6(4). 790-790.
- Liebig, Markus; Fernandez, Álvaro Alonso; Blübaum‐Gronau, Elke; Boxall, Alistair; Brinke, Marvin; Carbonell, Gregoria; Egeler, Philipp; Fenner, Kathrin; Fernandez, Carlos; Fink, Guido (2010). Environmental risk assessment of ivermectin: a case study. Integrated environmental assessment and management. 6(S1). 567-587.
- Slootweg, Tineke; Alvinerie, Michel; Egeler, Philipp; Gilberg, Daniel; Kukkonen, Jussi VK; Oehlmann, Jörg; Prasse, Carsten; Sormunen, Arto J; Liebig, Markus (2010). Bioaccumulation of ivermectin from natural and artificial sediments in the benthic organism Lumbriculus variegatus. Journal of soils and sediments. 10(8). 1611-1622.
- Prasse, Carsten; Löffler, Dirk; Ternes, Thomas A (2009). Environmental fate of the anthelmintic ivermectin in an aerobic sediment/water system. Chemosphere. 77(10). 1321-1325.
- Prasse, C; Ternes, TA (2016). Application of Orbitrap Mass Spectrometry for the Identification of Transformation Products of Trace Organic Contaminants Formed in the Environment. Comprehensive Analytical Chemistry. 71. 263-282.
- Prasse, Carsten; Ternes, Thomas (2010). Removal of organic and inorganic pollutants and pathogens from wastewater and drinking water using nanoparticles–a review. Nanoparticles in the water cycle. 55-79.