Please see the General Application Requirements page on the Graduate Admissions website for more information.

Note: Our PhD in Civil Engineering is now a PhD in Civil and Systems Engineering. If the application portal does not reflect this change at the time you apply, please choose PhD in Civil Engineering (research area – Systems) on the application and specify your interest on the Statement of Purpose.

What graduate programs are offered in the department?

The department offers Master’s of Science (MS), Master’s of Science in Engineering (MSE) and PhD graduate programs:

What is the Bachelor’s/Master’s Status?

The Bachelors/Master’s Status is designed for undergraduates currently enrolled at Johns Hopkins University who are interested in pursuing a WSE master’s degree. If you already have a Bachelor’s degree, you will need to apply to our graduate program. We offer two full-time master’s degree programs as well as the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).

What areas of research do you offer?

Structural engineering/structural mechanics: e.g., computational mechanics, stochastic mechanics, structural stability, performance-based structural design, structural systems reliability, structural fire engineering, damage mechanics and fatigue modeling, finite element modeling, and topology optimization. Resilience of civil systems: community resilience assessment, probabilistic modeling, hazard assessment, natural disaster modeling, mechanics of extreme events/environments, and risk assessment and mitigation. Multi-scale modeling of materials, structures and systems.

What is the deadline for graduate program applications?

Master’s programs for Spring – November 1
Master’s programs for Fall – March 1 
Doctoral program (PhD) for Fall – December 31

Will you accept late applications?


Are conditional admissions available?

No. Conditional admissions are not offered. Admission is determined using an applicant’s complete application and the compatibility of research and academic interests.

When are decisions made?

Review of applications by the departmental Admissions Committee begins after the application deadline has passed. Decisions are not likely to be made until February or March. You will be notified if you have been accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. Please do not contact the department to inquire about the status of your application. Due to the high volume of emails at this time of the year, it is not possible for us to read and respond to these inquiries. You will receive the official notice through the admissions portal.

What materials are required for the application?

    • 3 Letters of Recommendation
  • Toefl/Ielts scores
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Transcripts (unofficial)

Do I need to submit a Statement of Purpose AND a Personal Statement?

You only need to submit a Statement of Purpose – typically 1-3 pages outlining your background and interests in civil engineering, why you chose to pursue it, events or places that inspired you, etc. This Statement of Purpose will be read by the Admissions Committee. Personal statement is optional, but encouraged.

Do I need to submit a CV/Resume?

No. You are welcome to provide it, but it is not necessary.

All graduate applicants applying to the Whiting School of Engineering are required to have completed a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent prior to beginning our graduate program. We do not distinguish between a 3-year or 4-year degree. Admitted students will be required to submit final official transcripts with degree conferral by the end of their first term enrolled.

I have a master’s degree already. Can I still apply to your master’s program?


I am potentially interested in a PhD but would like to pursue my Master’s Degree first. Which program should I apply to? Is it possible to continue on towards a PhD after completion of the Master’s Degree?

MS and MSE applicants who might be interested in pursuing a PhD degree should certainly indicate this interest in their personal statement. Students admitted as MSE or MS candidates must apply again to be considered for the PhD program (acceptance is not guaranteed).

I have a Bachelor’s Degree, but not in civil engineering. Can I still apply to your graduate program?

Yes. Students with undergraduate degrees in engineering, physics, math, or applied math are encouraged to apply. Liberal arts students, with a strong background in mathematics and sciences, are also welcome to apply. Details on what may be required to get you up to speed are best discussed on a case-by-case basis.

If you have concerns and would like to discuss your situation, please contact the relevant person:

Cristopher Moen, Director, MSE in Civil Engineering
Gonzalo Pita, Director, MS in Systems Engineering
Thomas Gernay, Director of Graduate Studies, PhD program

Should I email faculty to determine if they have openings?

No. While the department is always looking for bright, highly motivated students, if you find a faculty member’s research particularly interesting, it is best to indicate this on your application and in your personal statement. Direct emails to faculty and staff attempting to identify ‘openings’ is discouraged – faculty receive several such emails from international students every day and it is not possible for us to read them all.

I submitted all my materials, but I have not received any confirmation. What’s wrong?

Please check your application status on the portal to make sure you hit the “Submit” button after review. If you would like to know if it has been received, please contact the Whiting School’s Graduate Admissions team.

My TOEFL or GRE scores were sent to Johns Hopkins, but my application does not indicate that they have been received. What should I do?

Please contact the Graduate Admissions Office. They will work with you to locate these materials.

I applied for admission last year but was not not admitted. Do I need to apply again?

Previously denied applicants may contact the Graduate Admissions Office, should you choose to apply again and would like to request duplication of your original application.

How many applicants do you plan to admit?

There is no pre-determined number, as it will vary from year-to-year.

What is the acceptance rate for applications?

The number of applications accepted varies from year to year and from program to program. The rate of application acceptance in previous years has no influence on the number of application acceptances in the current year as each application is considered on its own merits.

Our Department offers a reduced fee ($25) for the PhD program and no fee for the Master’s programs.

The application fee for a PhD program is non-refundable and must be received by the application deadline for the degree program that you are applying to. Payment is made in the payment section of the application by credit/debit card after completing the final “Review” section of the application. If you are eligible for a fee waiver, you must request an Application Fee Waiver directly on the application.

The Whiting School of Engineering requires GRE General Test scores. However, GRE scores are optional for applications to our master’s programs.

The Whiting School of Engineering does not require GRE General Test scores for applications to our PhD programs.

GRE scores are one of a number of factors taken into consideration when reviewing applications. These include (but not limited to) personal statement, transcripts, standardized test scores, and letters of recommendation.

Applicants are required to provide unofficial transcripts for application review. If a university-provided unofficial transcript is not available, contact our office for assistance by email: [email protected]. Do not send official transcripts directly from your school or a third-party vendor for application review. Official transcripts are only required by admitted students at the time of enrollment and must include degree conferral. Newly admitted students should reference Submitting Final Documents for details.

The Office of Engineering Graduate Admissions requires literal, certified translations for all documents issued in a language other than English. For all foreign academic work, we strongly recommend, but do not require, that you submit a professional credential evaluation from World Education Services (WES). We recommend the WES ICAP course by course evaluation. Visit Information for International Students for detailed information on Certified Translations and Credential Evaluations.

Additional questions on GRE, TOEFL, IELTS, transcripts may be answered on the General Application Requirements page.