Employment: How to Apply and What to Provide

Step 1. Find a spot. If you are interested in joining the research groups as a postdoctoral fellow, please contact the particular faculty member inquiring if there is any opportunity available.

Step 2. Provide your documents. If you were invited to join us, please contact Academic Program Administrator and provide the following documents:

  • CV
  • Letter of Intent
  • Department Data Form (*international students – the form can be partially filled at the beginning of the process)
  • OIS Form (only for international students)
  • Photo for the website

Step 3. Sign the appointment letter. Your official appointment letter along with the next steps instruction will be provided by the Office of WSE Graduate Education & Lifelong Learning, Whiting School of Engineering, Johns Hopkins University

You will be asked for the proof of your PhD separately when receive the formal letter.

Points of contact:

Step 4.  Hiring. The Department will initiate the hiring process. The U.S. government requires all employers to verify eligibility to work for each person they hire. As part of that verification process, a I-9 Form must be completed by all employees.

*International students will have to provide also:

  • Completed Department Data Form (see step 2)
  • SSN. A Social Security card is required for everyone who works in the U.S., even non-immigrants. On the card will be your unique Social Security Number (SSN) that you will keep for life. There is a temporary ID will be provided for hiring purposes. However, you will have to apply for the original SSN which is issued once per lifetime.
  • Completed the I-9 Form and FNIF.

Employment: Salary, Taxes and Pay Statements

Salary. All university postdocs receive financial compensation via either salary or stipend. Please refer to your appointment letter for the annual salary information.

Pay Statements. Your pay statements are available in Employee Self-Service which is part of the Human Resources/Payroll system that allows you to view your personal and payroll data and easily make changes. It’s a convenient, secure, user-friendly resource that you will be able to access online through myJHU. Using ESS, you can:

  • View your pay stub(s)
  • Sign up for direct deposit
  • Make changes to your tax withholding forms
  • Update your address
  • Add a nickname to your personal information


  • Go to jhu.eduand sign in with your JHED ID and password.
  • Select the “HR” tab and then the “ESS” tab.
  • Sign in again with your JHED ID and password.
  • Select the “Payroll Info” tab and you will see the pay statement.


For information on taxes, including deductions and filing taxes, visit these pages:

JHED ID and JHU email

  • The JHED system is an online, comprehensive source of contact information for Johns Hopkins University faculty, staff and student that grants access to resources like the myJH portal, SIS and JHU email.
  • The department will provide you with sponsored account – JHED ID.
    You will need (1) your DOB and (2) the last five digits of the SSN on file to complete the first time login process.
  • You will be able to set-up your JHU email: a. Go to my.jh.edu b. Log in using JHED and password. c. Accept the Office 365 Terms of Service. d. Click on the Office 365 icon (this appears under Messaging).

Health Benefits

There is a requirement to complete and submit the pre-entrance forms a couple of days BEFORE your start date. Please refer to the instruction you have received along with your appointment letter. If you have any specific questions, please email  [email protected]

Get Help

Staff Inside the Department:

  1. Academic Program Administrator:
  • Any questions you have concern about
  • Postdoc appointments
  • Postdoc Payroll

2. Administrative Coordinator:

  • Key Distribution
  • Reserving rooms for class, lab, and group meetings
  • Purchasing of supplies and equipment
  • Travel reimbursements
  • Coordinate shipments and deliveries
  • Arranging meetings with the Department Head

If you feel a bit overwhelmed by the workload and some stress related to health/family/personal concerns, and you feel that there is extra help you need, Johns Hopkins offers a lot of resources where you can ask for and receive help.

Sometimes, there is a need to find someone to listen, so please stop by the office and talk to any staff member who is available to listen. Sometimes, it helps, but, if you if that is not enough, please visit these pages for information and hours:


In case of emergency:



Check out the Student Wellness page, which offers support and services in seven key areas of wellness: emotional and mental health, physical health, finances, professional life, spiritual health, sexual health, and social well-being.

Get Personal Help

  • Homewood Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs
    • Get help with academic and life issues like mental and physical health, financial hardships, interpersonal conflict, advising concerns, coursework and research performance, and visa concerns.
    • The Homewood Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs Emergency Fund provides limited short-term financial assistance to currently enrolled graduate students and full-time postdoctoral fellows experiencing financial hardships.
  • Office of Student Life – for information on services, offices, events, and student groups
  • Ombuds Office – confidentially and informally raise any concern involving Ph.D. students and postdoctoral fellows, assist in conflict resolution, and provide feedback on problematic trends and systemic issues. Schedule a consultation here.
  • Office of Student Disability Services – to get help with a physical or mental incapacitation, no matter how minor.
  • Counseling Center – to get help with any emotional concerns, when feeling overwhelmed, and when needing mental health support in a caring environment.

Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity

University Policies

Visit these pages for policies and other resources.

Lab Access (only if you are required to work in the lab – check with your advisor)

Purchasing and Reimbursements


Johns Hopkins University launched SAP Concur Expense system to provide simpler processes for requesting expense reimbursements:

  • Direct requests within 90 days (if later, expenses will be paid to the purchaser as a payroll supplement instead of reimbursement and will be subject to payroll taxation)
  • Trainings are linked to “Training Materials” page
  • Questions? – contact the  Administrative Coordinator or Concur Admin.


  • Send a web link (preferably Amazon) with the item you would like to purchase to Administrative Coordinator
  • Also include the Budget number and approval from advisor


  • Items being delivered to the department must be shipped to:

Johns Hopkins University

Civil and Systems Engineering Department

3910 Keswick Road, Baltimore MD  21211

ATTN:  Latrobe 201 CaSE

Packing Slips

  • To comply with federal and JHU auditing policies we are required to collect and file all packing slips from items purchased by our department. The packing slip is our proof the item was received.
  • Make sure you give the packing slip to Administrative Coordinator

Deliveries and Mail

  • You have a personal mailbox at the 3rd floor
  • Interoffice and postal mail are delivered daily, usually in the early afternoon. The front office staff will distribute the mail to mailboxes the same day or early the next morning
  • Packages larger than the mailboxes will be stored in Latrobe 201 and recipients will be notified. They should not be picked up until the packages are checked in with the staff member