In 2014, the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) and the Whiting School of Engineering launched SPUR, the APL/WSE-Summer Program in Undergraduate Research (SPUR), a prestigious and competitive summer internship program that provides highly qualified WSE students with the opportunity to conduct research at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory, working on APL-sponsored projects.
In the program’s first year, WSE interns worked on projects in areas that included ballistic missile systems, prosthetics, computer vision, and secure mobile communications.
In addition to the opportunity to work closely with APL mentors on research projects, interns will have access to enrichment and social activities. Free shuttle service between the Homewood campus and APL is provided.
SPUR Scholars work on specific projects in APL Mission Areas.EXPLORE PAST SPUR INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Receive a stipend:
Completed Senior Year: $1,340/week ($33.50/hour) available only to seniors continuing at JHU in fall 2015 for an engineering master’s degree in one of the full-time programs.
Be assigned an APL technical staff mentor who will provide guidance and assistance throughout the summer assignment
Have access to free shuttle service between the Homewood campus and APL
Take part in additional activities and opportunities, such as:
For more information about the program, please contact Stacy Murphy, College Relations Coordinator at APL.
Applications must be submitted through J-Connect by 11:59 p.m. on Wed., December 31, 2014 . There, you will log in to your account and search reference number, 65367. If you have trouble accessing the posting, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Resume: Resume should include relevant coursework, description of technical skills, computer skills, lab skills, and demonstrate the student’s ability to work in a team and research setting.
2. Letter of recommendation: The letter must be from a Hopkins faculty member. The letter should discuss the student’s research ability and/or his/her skills in working as part of a team or group. Letters of recommendation may be uploaded directly into J-Connect or, if preferred by the recommender, emailed directly to Stacy Murphy.
3. Unofficial transcript (print from ISIS)
Student Eligibility Requirements
1. Students who have completed their freshman, sophomore, and junior years at the Whiting School of Engineering and are are returning to full-time undergraduate studies at Johns Hopkins. Seniors returning to JHU for an engineering master’s degree in one of the full-time programs in the fall 2015 semester may also be considered for this opportunity.
2. U.S. Citizenship /Eligibility for Security Clearance (required)
3. We are looking for students who have outstanding academic performance, demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team setting, and demonstrated ability to succeed in conducting high-level research.