Scholars from across Johns Hopkins University’s 10 divisions gathered last night at the George Peabody Library to celebrate 60 innovative research projects that are being supported by the inaugural Catalyst and Discovery awards. Thirty-seven early career scholars (five of them from WSE) received Catalyst Awards and 23 cross-divisional faculty teams, which included 14 WSE faculty […]
Ramesh, Kaliat T.
Department Of Mechanical Engineering
Malone Hall 140
3400 N Charles St
Faculty and students from the Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute (HEMI) and the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) gathered on Tuesday, Sept. 1 in Malone Hall to celebrate the work of the 2015 HEMI/MICA Extreme Arts Program summer Interns. Samantha French and Amanda Metcalf worked with HEMI faculty, staff, and students to complete the 10-week program […]
The Mechanical Engineering Department is pleased to announce that K.T. Ramesh, Alonzo G. Decker Jr. Professor of Science and Engineering and Director of the Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute (HEMI), will receive the W.M. Murray Medal. The award recognizes his sustained and distinguished technical contributions to the field of experimental mechanics and is awarded to him for his major […]
Johns Hopkins traumatic brain injury expert available to discuss the mechanics of concussion in light of lacrosse helmet recall
The recent decertification of two popular lacrosse helmets, the Warrior Regulator and the Cascade Model R, is causing concern for those involved in men’s lacrosse, one of the nation’s fastest-growing sports. The decertification by the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment comes at a time of growing worries about concussions in athletes. At […]
WSE In The News
5/2/14: Johns Hopkins, Morgan State Team Up for Engineering Internships, HEMI’s KT Ramesh, WBAL-TV11
Johns Hopkins University and Morgan State University have joined forces in a new collaborative educational program designed to combine the strengths of both institutions to benefit their students and faculty members, as well as the fields of science and engineering. The Extreme Science Internships program will build a bridge between talented science and engineering […]
WSE In The News
4/30/14: New Internship Program Places MSU Students at JHU, HEMI’s KT Ramesh, Baltimore Business Journal
WSE In The News
1/15/14: Concussions and the NFL, HEMI’s KT Ramesh, WYPR
- Other Master's Degree (Sc.M.) 1987, Brown University
- Ph.D. 1987, Brown University
- Other Master's Degree (Sc.M.) 1985, Brown University
- Other Bachelor's Degree (B.E.) 1982, Bangalore University
- 2015: W.M. Murray Medal
- 2014: M.G. McLaren Lecture Award
- 2013: Fellow
- 2013: Glass Memorial Lecturer
- 2012: B.J. Lazan Award
- 2012: Midwest Mechanics Lecturer
- 2008: Conference Best Poster Award: Medicine Meets Virtual Reality (MMVR) - with Allison Okamura and graduate student Sarthak Misra. 2008
- 2006: M. Hetenyi Award
- 2002: Invited Southwest Mechanics Series Lecturer - 2002
- 2001: Fellow - ASME
- 1995: William H. Huggins Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 1994: Honorary Member - Pi Tau Sigma
- 1987: Best Paper - ASME Division of Tribology
- 1986: Elected Member - Sigma Xi
- Keep your Head in the Game: The Mechanics of Traumatic Brain Injury. Salt Lake City, Utah. November 20, 2014
- "The Dynamics of Twinning and the High-Strain Rate Behavior of Magnesium", International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition. November 16, 2014
- "Scaling and Dynamics Applied to Materials and Asteroids", Hopkinson Centenary Conference. Cambridge. September 9, 2014
- "Modeling Large Impacts on Rocky Bodies", Asteroids, Comets and Meteors. Helsinki. June 29, 2014
- Keep your Head in the Game: The Mechanics of Traumatic Brain Injury in Sports. Austin, TX. April 24, 2014
- Keep your Head in the Game: The Mechanics of Traumatic Brain Injury in Sports. Cleveland, OH. March 7, 2014
- "Impact Loading of Soft Structures: the dominant cause of injury to the human brain", 4th International Conference on Impact Loading of Lightweight Structures. Cape Town. January 12, 2014
- Hu, G., Liu, J., Brady, L., Ramesh, K. (2015). A 3D mechanistic constitutive model for brittle materials containing evolving flaw distributions under dynamic multiaxial loading. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids.
- Fournier, A. J., Rajbhandari, L., Shrestha, S., Venkatesan, A., Ramesh, K. (2014). In vitro and in situ visualization of cytoskeletal deformation under load: traumatic axonal injury. FASEB JOURNAL. 28(12). 5277-5287.
- Lambert, P. K., Hustedt, C. J., Vecchio, K. S., Huskins, E. L., Casem, D. T., Gruner, S. M., Tate, M. W., Philipp, H. T., Woll, A. R., Purohit, P., Weiss, J. T., Kannan, V., Ramesh, K., Kenesei, P., Okasinski, J. S., Almer, J., Zhao, M., Ananiadis, A. G., Hufnagel, T. (2014). Time-resolved x-ray diffraction techniques for bulk polycrystalline materials under dynamic loading. Review of Scientific Instruments. 85(9).
- Prasad, K. E., Ramesh, K. (2014). In-situ observations and quantification of twin boundary mobility in polycrystalline magnesium. MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING. 617. 121-126.
- Williams, C. L., Chen, C. Q., Ramesh, K., Dandekar, D. P. (2014). On the shock stress, substructure evolution, and spall response of commercially pure 1100-O aluminum. MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING. 618. 596-604.
- Wilkerson, J. W., Ramesh, K. (2014). A dynamic void growth model governed by dislocation kinetics. JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICS AND PHYSICS OF SOLIDS. 70. 262-280.
- Zhang, J., Ramesh, K., Joshi, S. P. (2014). Stochastic size-dependent slip-twinning competition in hexagonal close packed single crystals. MODELLING AND SIMULATION IN MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING. 22(7).
- Libourel, G., Delbo, M., Wilkerson, J., Murdoch, N., Michel, P., Ramesh, K., Ganino, C., Verati, C., Marchi, S. (2014). THERMAL FATIGUE AS THE ORIGIN OF REGOLITH ON SMALL ASTEROIDS.. METEORITICS & PLANETARY SCIENCE. 49(1, SI). A235.
- Chen, C. Q., Florando, J. N., Kumar, M., Ramesh, K., Hemker, K. (2014). Incipient deformation twinning in dynamically sheared bcc tantalum. ACTA MATERIALIA. 69. 114-125.
- Daphalapurkar, N., Wilkerson, J. W., Wright, T. W., Ramesh, K. (2014). Kinetics of a fast moving twin boundary in nickel. ACTA MATERIALIA. 68(15). 82-92.
- Delbo, M., Libourel, G., Wilkerson, J., Murdoch, N., Michel, P., Ramesh, K., Ganino, C., Verati, C., Marchi, S. (2014). Thermal fatigue as the origin of regolith on small asteroids. NATURE. 508(7495). 233+.
- Agnew, S., Whittington, W., Oppedal, A., El Kadiri, H., Shaeffer, M., Ramesh, K., Bhattacharyya, J., Delorme, R., Davis, B. (2014). Dynamic Behavior of a Rare-Earth-Containing Mg Alloy, WE43B-T5, Plate with Comparison to Conventional Alloy, AM30-F. JOM. 66(2). 277-290.
- Prasad, K. E., Li, B., Dixit, N., Shaffer, M., Mathaudhu, S. N., Ramesh, K. (2014). The Dynamic Flow and Failure Behavior of Magnesium and Magnesium Alloys. JOM. 66(2). 291-304.
- Bhardwaj, R., Ziegler, K., Seo, J. H., Ramesh, K., Nguyen, T. (2014). A computational model of blast loading on the human eye. BIOMECHANICS AND MODELING IN MECHANOBIOLOGY. 13(1). 123-140.
- Daphalapurkar, N., Ramesh, K., Brady, L., Molinari, J. F. (2011). Predicting variability in the dynamic failure strength of brittle materials considering pre-existing flaws. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids. 59(2). 297-319.
- Li, B., Cao, B. Y., Ramesh, K., Ma, E. (2009). A nucleation mechanism of deformation twins in pure aluminum. Acta Materialia. 57(15). 4500-4507.
- Li, B., Joshi, S., Azevedo, K., Ma, E., Ramesh, K., Figueiredo, R. B., Langdon, T. G. (2009). Dynamic testing at high strain rates of an ultrafine-grained magnesium alloy processed by ECAP. Materials Science and Engineering a-Structural Materials Properties Microstructure and Processing. 517(1-2). 24-29.
- Li, B., Ma, E., Ramesh, K. (2008). Dislocation configurations in an extruded ZK60 magnesium alloy. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions a-Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science. 39A(11). 2607-2614.
- Schuster, B. E., Wei, Q., Hufnagel, T., Ramesh, K. (2008). Size-independent strength and deformation mode in compression of a Pd-based metallic glass. Acta Materialia. 56(18). 5091-5100.
- Schuster, B. E., Wei, Q., Ervin, M. H., Hruszkewycz, S. O., Miller, M. K., Hufnagel, T., Ramesh, K. (2007). Bulk and microscale compressive properties of a Pd-based metallic glass. Scripta Materialia. 57(6). 517-520.
- Wei, Q., Jiao, T., Ramesh, K., Ma, E., Kecskes, L. J., Magness, L., Dowding, R., Kazykhanov, V. U., Valiev, R. Z. (2006). Mechanical behavior and dynamic failure of high-strength ultrafine grained tungsten under uniaxial compression. Acta Materialia. 54(1). 77-87.
- Ott, R. T., Sansoz, F., Jiao, T., Warner, D., Fan, C., Molinari, J. F., Ramesh, K., Hufnagel, T. (2006). Yield criteria and strain-rate behavior of Zr57.4Cu16.4Ni8.2Ta8Al10 metallic-glass-matrix composites. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions a-Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science. 37A(11). 3251-3258.
- Ott, R. T., Sansoz, F., Molinari, J. F., Almer, J., Ramesh, K., Hufnagel, T. (2005). Micromechanics of deformation of metallic-glass-matrix composites from in situ synchrotron strain measurements and finite element modeling. Acta Materialia. 53(7). 1883-1893.
- Wei, Q., Ramesh, K., Ma, E., Kesckes, L. J., Dowding, R. J., Kazykhanov, V. U., Valiev, R. Z. (2005). Plastic flow localization in bulk-tungsten with ultrafine microstructure. Applied Physics Letters. 86(10).
- Wei, Q., Kecskes, L., Jiao, T., Hartwig, K. T., Ramesh, K., Ma, E. (2004). Adiabatic shear banding in ultrafine-grained Fe processed by severe plastic deformation. Acta Materialia. 52(7). 1859-1869.
- Jiao, T., Kecskes, L. J., Hufnagel, T., Ramesh, K. (2004). Deformation and failure of Zr57Nb5Al10Cu15.4Ni12.6/W particle composites under quasi-static and dynamic compression. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions a-Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science. 35A(11). 3439-3444.
- Wei, Q., Cheng, S., Ramesh, K., Ma, E. (2004). Effect of nanocrystalline and ultrafine grain sizes on the strain rate sensitivity and activation volume: fcc versus bcc metals. Materials Science and Engineering a-Structural Materials Properties Microstructure and Processing. 381(1-2). 71-79.
- Wei, Q., Jiao, T., Ramesh, K., Ma, E. (2004). Nano-structured vanadium: processing and mechanical properties under quasi-static and dynamic compression. Scripta Materialia. 50(3). 359-364.
- Gu, X., Jiao, T., Kecskes, L. J., Woodman, R. H., Fan, C., Ramesh, K., Hufnagel, T. (2003). Crystallization and mechanical behavior of (Hf, Zr)-Ti-Cu-Ni-Al metallic glasses. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 317(1-2). 112-117.
- Jia, D., Ramesh, K., Ma, E. (2003). Effects of nanocrystalline and ultrafine grain sizes on constitutive behavior and shear bands in iron. Acta Materialia. 51(12). 3495-3509.
- Wei, Q., Jiao, T., Mathaudhu, S. N., Ma, E., Hartwig, K. T., Ramesh, K. (2003). Microstructure and mechanical properties of tantalum after equal channel angular extrusion (ECAE). Materials Science and Engineering a-Structural Materials Properties Microstructure and Processing. 358(1-2). 266-272.
- Hufnagel, T., Jiao, T., Li, Y., Xing, L. Q., Ramesh, K. (2002). Deformation and failure of Zr57Ti5CU20Ni8Al10 bulk metallic glass under quasi-static and dynamic compression. Journal of Materials Research. 17(6). 1441-1445.
- Wei, Q., Jia, D., Ramesh, K., Ma, E. (2002). Evolution and microstructure of shear bands in nanostructured Fe. Applied Physics Letters. 81(7). 1240-1242.
- Marra, S., Ramesh, K., Douglas, A. (2002). The actuation of a biomimetic poly(vinyl alcohol)poly(acrylic acid) gel.. Philosophical transactions. Series A, Mathematical, physical, and engineering sciences. 360(1791). 175-98.
- Jia, D., Ramesh, K., Ma, E., Lu, L., Lu, K. (2001). Compressive behavior of an electrodeposited nanostructured copper at quasistatic and high strain rates. Scripta Materialia. 45(5). 613-620.
- Jia, D., Wang, Y. M., Ramesh, K., Ma, E., Zhu, Y. T., Valiev, R. Z. (2001). Deformation behavior and plastic instabilities of ultrafine-grained titanium. Applied Physics Letters. 79(5). 611-613.
- Xing, L. Q., Li, Y., Ramesh, K., Li, J., Hufnagel, T. (2001). Enhanced plastic strain in Zr-based bulk amorphous alloys. Physical Review B. 64(18).
- Jia, D., Ramesh, K., Ma, E. (1999). Failure mode and dynamic behavior of nanophase iron under compression. Scripta Materialia. 42(1). 73-78.
- Ma, E., Jia, D., Ramesh, K. (2001). Nanophase and ultrafine-grained powders prepared by mechanical milling: Full density processing and unusual mechanical behavior. 257-266.
- Jia, D., Ramesh, K., Ma, E. (2000). Compressive, tensile, and dynamic behavior of nanophase iron. 309-318.
- Jiao, T., Fan, C., Keeskes, L. J., Hufnagel, T., Ramesh, K. (2003). Effect of loading rate on failure in bulk metallic glasses. Supercooled Liquids, Glass Transition and Bulk Metallic Glasses. 754. 243-248.
- Xing, L., Hufnagel, T., Ramesh, K. High strength amorphous alloy which maintains toughness. Xing L; Hufnagel T C; Ramesh K T; Univ Johns Hopkins.