Skip to main content

Research Opportunities for Students

Undergaduate Research

The opportunity to do research – from your first year on – is one of the hallmarks of a Johns Hopkins engineering education.

More than 70% of our undergraduates participate in groundbreaking research alongside faculty and grad students on our campus, at the nearby medical campus, or in other parts of the university including the Peabody Institute or the Applied Physics Lab.

Students may earn academic credit for their research, while others will find paid or volunteer-based lab positions.


How to find research opportunities

  1. Explore the Hopkins Office for Undergraduate Research website learn more about research opportunities.
  2. Talk to your faculty adviser.
  3. Check with your department for possible opportunities.
  4. Talk to upper class students about research they’ve done.
  5. Learn about the research interests and projects of WSE faculty members.
  6. Learn about RISE@APL: Research Internships in Science and Engineering
  7. Check out the Provost’s Undergraduate Research Awards (PURA) program.
  8. Investigate the Johns Hopkins Medicine Summer Internship Programs.
  9. Apply for the Vredenburg Travel Fund.


How to register for research

  • Meet with your faculty research sponsor (this person must be a full-time Homewood faculty member so he/she can submit either a letter or S/U grade) to determine the nature of your research and how you will be evaluated.
  • Complete the Independent Academic Work form via SIS (Registration-Online Forms) in order for it to be processed and added to your schedule.

Please note: You can earn up to 6 credits for research per academic year, beginning in the summer term, and you are limited to maximum of 3 credits per semester.

Back to top