Jacob B. Khurgin
Primary Appointment: Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Theoretical and experimental studies of electronic, optical, and magnetic properties of the semiconductors and their heterostructure-quantum wells, and superlattices
- Nonlinear optics
- Optical Communication Devices & Systems
- Metamaterials and Plasmonics
- Mid-Infrared devices
- Fundamental Condensed Matter Physics
- Wide-bandgap semiconductor devices
- Miniature solid state lasers
Professor Khurgin is a theorist, but through his 30+ years career he has been working with many experimental groups in diverse areas of electronics, optics, condensed matter physics and telecommunications. Currently, his interests include mid-infrared technology – lasers and detectors, wide bandgap semiconductor devices, laser refrigeration of solids, plasmonics, photo catalysis, band-width efficient optical communications, and others. Professor Khurgin graduated from NYU in 1986, worked in industry, and joined JHU in 1988. He has authored 300 journal publications, 1 book, holds 30 patents and is a Fellow of American Physical Society and Optical Society of America.
Awards and Honors
American Physical Society Fellow
Optical Society of America Fellow
- Khurgin, J., Stievater, T. H., Pruessner, M. W., Rabinovich, W. S. (2015). On the origin of the second-order nonlinearity in strained Si-SiN structures. JOURNAL OF THE OPTICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA B-OPTICAL PHYSICS. 32(12). 2494-2499.
- Khurgin, J., Sun, G., Chen, W. T., Tsai, W., Tsai, D. P. (2015). Ultrafast Thermal Nonlinearity. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 5.
- Khurgin, J. (2015). Ultimate limit of field confinement by surface plasmon polaritons. FARADAY DISCUSSIONS. 178. 109-122.
- Khurgin, J., Sun, G. (2015). Impact of surface collisions on enhancement and quenching of the luminescence near the metal nanoparticles. OPTICS EXPRESS. 23(24). 30739-30748.
- Spencer, D. T., Davenport, M., Srinivasan, S., Khurgin, J., Morton, P. A., Bowers, J. E. (2015). Low kappa, narrow bandwidth Si3N4 Bragg gratings. OPTICS EXPRESS. 23(23). 30329-30336.
- Stievater, T. H., Pruessner, M. W., Rabinovich, W. S., Park, D., Mahon, R., Kozak, D. A., Boos, J. B., Holmstrom, S. A., Khurgin, J. (2015). Suspended photonic waveguide devices. APPLIED OPTICS. 54(31). F164-F173.
- Bajaj, S., Shoron, O. F., Park, P. S., Krishnamoorthy, S., Akyol, F., Hung, T., Reza, S., Chumbes, E. M., Khurgin, J., Rajan, S. (2015). Density-dependent electron transport and precise modeling of GaN high electron mobility transistors. APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS. 107(15).
- Yu, H., Talukdar, D., Xu, W., Khurgin, J., Xiong, Q. (2015). Charge-Induced Second-Harmonic Generation in Bilayer WSe2. NANO LETTERS. 15(8). 5653-5657.
- Khurgin, J. (2015). Two-dimensional exciton-polariton-light guiding by transition metal dichalcogenide monolayers. OPTICA. 2(8). 740-742.
- Yang, Z., Nath, D. N., Zhang, Y., Khurgin, J., Rajan, S. (2015). Common Emitter Current and Voltage Gain in III-Nitride Tunneling Hot Electron Transistors. IEEE ELECTRON DEVICE LETTERS. 36(5). 436-438.
- Sun, G., Chen, R., Ding, Y. J., Khurgin, J. (2015). Upconversion Due to Optical-Phonon-Assisted Anti-Stokes Photoluminescence in Bulk GaN. ACS PHOTONICS. 2(5). 628-632.
- Desiatov, B., Goykhman, I., Mazurski, N., Shappir, J., Khurgin, J., Levy, U. (2015). Plasmonic enhanced silicon pyramids for internal photoemission Schottky detectors in the near-infrared regime. OPTICA. 2(4). 335-338.
- Khurgin, J. (2015). Prospects and merits of metal-clad semiconductor lasers from nearly UV to far IR. OPTICS EXPRESS. 23(4). 4186-4194.
- Yang, Z., Zhang, Y., Nath, D. N., Khurgin, J., Rajan, S. (2015). Current gain in sub-10nm base GaN tunneling hot electron transistors with AlN emitter barrier. APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS. 106(3).
- Khurgin, J. (2015). How to deal with the loss in plasmonics and metamaterials. NATURE NANOTECHNOLOGY. 10(1). 2-6.
- Islam, M., Lay, J., Wang, C., Trivedi, S., Samuels, A., Khurgin, J., Sen-Choa, F. (2015). Combined Microphone Array and Lock-in Amplifier Operations for Out DoorPhoto-acoustic Sensing. ADVANCED ENVIRONMENTAL, CHEMICAL, AND BIOLOGICAL SENSING TECHNOLOGIESXII. 9486.