Student Profile
Q&A: Laura Chicos ’19

Laura Chicos
Laura Chicos, 2019
Chicago, IL

Laura Chicos is a freshman electrical engineering major from Chicago, IL.

How did you get interested in electrical engineering?

I knew I wanted to pursue something in the STEM field, and as I was looking into the electrical engineering major, I was intrigued. I think it’s so cool to be able to work with technology on a micro scale and be involved in creating cutting-edge and innovative devices. The applications of electrical engineering are so broad and to the creative thinker, electrical engineering becomes a type of art.

What made you decide to come to Johns Hopkins?

It’s hard to tell what makes a college great until you’re here to experience it yourself. One thing I love about JHU is the collaboration – everyone is always more than willing to help one another, and I feel like I have grown so much just from what I have learned from my peers. Additionally, the smaller size of the ECE department really promotes an intimate environment where I frequently see and interact with my professors, as well as the other students in the department.

Are you involved in any research? If so, what’s your role?

I am involved in an optoelectronics lab at JHU. I work with a graduate student who is showing me the ropes. I’m learning how to experimentally measure the light absorption of different materials using a photo spectrometer and then develop an optical model.

I’m also on an ECE design team where three other students and I are working with a professor on a project to optimize a portable acoustic micro-Doppler radar system to then be able to apply it to specific problems.

Outside of lab and class: what are you involved with (groups, organizations, intramurals, etc.)?

Outside of lab and class, I am involved with Outdoor Pursuits where I lead sea kayaking trips. I’m also in Engineers without Borders, Baila! and intramural soccer.

What sort of impact do you hope to have either as an engineer or in a STEM field?

As a woman in STEM, I hope to spread happiness and light by helping people become their healthiest self and by offering my knowledge and skills to help ease people’s suffering. As an engineer, I hope to let my imagination go in places that will help me create things that could potentially transform the way people live and interact with the world, for the better.

Back to top