In 2021, students developed designs to address multiple areas of the Alexandria City Hall and Market Square in Alexandria, Virginia.
Plans included a redesign of the fountain and functional space of the Market Square plaza and use of the City Hall rooftop to create a new interior courtyard seating/meeting area. The rooftop designs will also contain areas for vegetable growing, rainwater collection, and solar panels.
Design Day is a school-wide initiative for the Whiting School of Engineering. Visit designday.jhu.edu to view a full listing of projects that show how our community is creating a better future, translating theoretical knowledge into real-world solutions.
Student plans seek to achieve the following goals:
- Showcase versatility via new design concepts as well as design within the varying levels of existing or historic construction.
- Design outdoor, public structures to serve community use and accommodate environmental exposure.
- Create a structural design for both gravity and lateral load-resisting systems, both within existing context and for new construction.
- Showcase experience with sustainability and green design through the following:
- Reuse of existing construction,
- Development of basic systems/routes for water collection and storage in a new cistern, and
- Designs to accommodate green roof and solar panels.
PARTICIPANTS: Simi Aluko, Carson Drew, Cassandra Factora, Trevor Henigan, Taeki Kim, Cassidy Manning, Naomi Meiselman, Kayla Ostrow, Jonathan Resnick, Natalia Zhukova
TIMELINE OF EVENTS:
- 2–4 p.m.: Student Presentations
- 4:15–4:30 p.m.: Blue Hat Ceremony
- 4:30–4:45 p.m.: Presentation of Convocation and Graduate Student Awards