Associate Teaching Professor
Nanomaterials and Optical Properties
- Ph.D. 2005, Texas A&M University
- Master of Science 1997, Dublin City University, Ireland
- Bachelor of Science 1993, Dublin City University
- 2019 - Present: Completion of JHU Carey Executive Education Course, The Johns Hopkins University
- 2015 - Present: Instructor, Whiting School of Engineering
- 2012 - Present: Senior Instructor, Engineering Innovation Summer Program
- 2009 - 2011: Instructor, Engineering Innovation Summer Program
- 2008 - 2014: Lecturer, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- 2008 - 2008: Research Associate, Chemistry & Biochemistry, UMBC, Baltimore, MD
- 2006 - 2007: Manager, Materials Characterization Facility, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- 2001 - 2002: Staff Researcher, Materials Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL
- 2001 - 2001: Staff Researcher, Chemistry, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
- 1998 - 2000: Staff Researcher, Molecular Science Division, Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), Melbourne, Australia
- ELECTRON microscopy
- Metal Nanoparticles
- OPTICAL properties
- Quantum Dots
- 2019: S.G.A. The George E. Owen Teaching Award
- 2019: ABET IDEAL Scholar
- 2017: Capers and Marion McDonald Award for Excellence in Mentoring and Advising
- 2014: Robert B. Pond Sr. Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2012: Technology Fellowship Grant, JHU CER with Dr. Michael Karweit (WSE) and Dr. Karen Borgsmiller (WSE Center for Educational Outreach) “Video Tutorials as a Digital Pre-Lab Preparation Tool”
- 2011: Kenan Award
- 2005: Graduate Fellowship
- 2003: Martell Travel Award
- Pan H, Grow ME, Wilson O, Daniel M (2013). A new poly(propylene imine) dendron as potential convenient building-block in the construction of multifunctional systems. Tetrahedron. 69(13). 2799-2806.
- Wilson O, Knecht MR, Garcia-Martinez JC, Crooks RM (2006). Effect of Pd nanoparticle size on the catalytic hydrogenation of allyl alcohol. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 128(14). 4510-4511.
- Scott RW, Sivadinarayana C, Wilson O, Yan Z, Goodman DW, Crooks RM (2005). Titania-supported PdAu bimetallic catalysts prepared from dendrimer-encapsulated nanoparticle precursors. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 127(5). 1380-1381.
- Scott RW, Wilson O, Crooks RM (2005). Synthesis, characterization, and applications of dendrimer-encapsulated nanoparticles. Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 109(2). 692-704.
- Wilson O, Scott RW, Garcia-Martinez JC, Crooks RM (2005). Synthesis, characterization, and structure-selective extraction of 1-3-nm diameter AuAg dendrimer-encapsulated bimetallic nanoparticles. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 127(3). 1015-1024.
- Zhang ZS, Wilson O, Efremov MY, Olson EA, Braun PV, Senaratne W, Ober CK, Zhang M, Allen LH (2004). Heat capacity measurements of two-dimensional self-assembled hexadecanethiol monolayers on polycrystalline gold. Applied Physics Letters. 84(25). 5198-5200.
- Scott RW, Wilson O, Crooks RM (2004). Dendrimer supports for bimetallic catalysts. Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society. 227. U831-U831.
- Scott RW, Wilson O, Crooks RM (2004). Titania-supported Au and Pd composites synthesized from dendrimer-encapsulated metal nanoparticle precursors. Chemistry of Materials. 16(26). 5682-5688.
- Wilson O, Scott RW, Garcia-Martinez JC, Crooks RM (2004). Separation of dendrimer-encapsulated Au and Ag nanoparticles by selective extraction. Chemistry of Materials. 16(22). 4202-4204.
- Scott RW, Wilson O, Oh SK, Kenik EA, Crooks RM (2004). Bimetallic palladium-gold dendrimer-encapsulated catalysts. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 126(47). 15583-15591.
- Hartland GV, Hu M, Wilson O, Mulvaney P, Sader JE (2002). Coherent excitation of vibrational modes in gold nanorods. Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 106(4). 743-747.
- Sonnichsen C, Franzl T, Wilk T, von Plessen G, Feldmann J, Wilson O, Mulvaney P (2002). Drastic reduction of plasmon damping in gold nanorods. Physical Review Letters. 88(7).
- Wilson O, Hu XY, Cahill DG, Braun PV (2002). Colloidal metal particles as probes of nanoscale thermal transport in fluids. Physical Review B. 66(22).
- Wilson O, Staniland SS, Rawlings A, Bramble J, Tolosa J, Garcia-Martinez JC, Binns C (2014). Novel Methods for the Synthesis of Magnetic Nanoparticles. Elsevier. (1).
- Garcia-Martinez JC, Wilson O, Scott RW, Crooks RM (2006). Extraction of metal nanoparticles from within dendrimer templates. Metal-Containing and Metallosupramolecular Polymers and Materials. 928. 215-229.
- Wilson O, Jonah Erlebacher (2019). Impact of the evolution of specialized research topics in materials science and engineering on the undergraduate curriculum over the coming decade". Materials Science Undergraduate Education Conference 2019.
- Hartland GV, Hu M, Mulvaney P, Wilson O, Sader JE (2003). Coherent excitation of vibrational modes in nanoparticles and nanorods: what do we really measure?. Conference on Physical Chemistry of Interfaces and Nanomaterials II. 77-84.
- Hartland GV, Hu M, Wilson O, Mulvaney P (2002). Excitation of mechanical modes in gold nanorods. International Symposium on Smart Materials, Nano-, and Micro-Smart Systems. 52-60.
- "Streamlining the Task: Using Taskstream as an Efficient Continuous Assessment and Self-Study Preparation Tool", 2016 ABET Symposium. Florida. April 1, 2016
- "Hands-on Preparation and Testing of Solution-Processed Semiconductor Devices in the Undergraduate Classroom", Gateway Sciences Initiative. January 20, 2012