1. What is the cost of the program?

The $65,000 annual program fee*—usually paid by the student’s employer—covers expenses associated with the research (notably, the faculty mentor), as well as all courses the student takes.

Please note that if a Doctor of Engineering project requires extensive or expensive use of JHU facilities, those costs will also be covered by the student’s employer.

*Program cost subject to change annually

2. How is the cost of the program billed?

The cost is billed over two installments ($32,500 in the Fall and $32,500 in the Spring) each year.

3. Is there any external or internal funding support?

D.Eng. students are fulltime, nonresident graduate students in a STEM/engineering graduate degree program, and therefore may be eligible to apply on their own to external fellowships typical to engineering graduate students, such as the Department of Energy Office of Science Graduate Fellowship, NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program, etc. If a student is awarded external funding and is also receiving support from their employer, it would be prudent to have a preemptive discussion about any conflict of interest/intellectual property issues if applicable.

4. What is the letter of support?

The letter of support is written confirmation from your employer that they are willing to support your research and participation in the degree program, and that they understand and agree to the financial obligations of the program.

5. How long is the program?

The D.Eng. program is non-residential program catered towards mid-career applicants in a technical leadership role in industry or the public sector. The program is designed to be completed in about three years.

6. What are the required courses for the program?

As the program is research-based, there are no required courses except for the mandatory research course each term. However, you can take as many non-research courses from the Whiting School at no additional charge if your JHU primary advisor believes that the courses would benefit your research.

7. How many credits are required to earn the Doctor in Engineering Program?  

Successful completion of the degree is not based on completing a certain number of credits but rather through the successful completion of learning new material, the development of a cogent and individualized research proposal, and successfully implemented research; as well as a preliminary exam, a proposal presentation and examination, a final defense, and the submission of an approved dissertation or final portfolio. The portfolio may include items such as prototypes, plans, patent applications, computer simulations, and user manuals. For full program requirements, please visit the D.Eng. Student Advising Manual.

8. Is the Doctoral program in Engineering specific to a particular field in engineering or can the student choose an area of engineering that is of interest to them?

The program is not tied to any specific engineering discipline. Students apply to the program with a project in mind and having identified a JHU engineering professor with whom they wish to work. That professor can be in any of our WSE departments.

9. Can I enroll in the D.Eng. program and then concurrently pursue another master’s degree or certificate through the WSE (for example, pursuing a MS in Systems Engineering and the Doctor of Engineering at the same time)?

A master’s degree is required for admission to the D.Eng. program, so typically our D.Eng. students do not have an interest in pursuing a second master’s degree or a certificate when they are enrolled in the program. Additionally, most WSE master’s programs require 8-10 full-semester length courses, and certificates typically require 4-6 full-semester length courses, which doesn’t typically mesh well with the accelerated timeline of the D.Eng. program (which  is designed to be completed in just three years). That said, if a student is interested in completing a second master’s or certificate in an area in which they do not already have a master’s or certificate, and their JHU advisor feels that they can complete the additional degree/certificate without impeding their timely progress in the D.Eng. program, and the student’s employer sponsor is aware that the student wishes to pursue a second degree/certificate while pursing the D.Eng. then students may apply for admission to the master’s/certificate program. Note that only two courses can be double-counted across graduate degrees and certificates, admission is not guaranteed, and that students will still be held to the normal progress expectations and timeline of the D.Eng. degree while pursuing a second degree/certificate.

10. I have an MBA and I work heavily in the engineering world. Would my 3.9 MBA get me accepted into the program with an engineering management focus?

Unfortunately, currently, D.Eng. applicants need to have a master’s degree in an engineering discipline (or very closely aligned field) in order to be considered for admission. As we make our plans to expand the D.Eng. program over the next few years, this may become a more flexible requirement, so please do check back in future application cycles.

11. If all the projects I work on for my employer are classified to some degree, is there a path forward to complete the D.Eng. while under these restrictions? 

The answer is that we can work with projects that have classified applications, but the work itself must be open. It’s a bit of a balancing act. For example, the work of the JHU Human Language Technology Center of Excellence is for classified purposes, but the technology developed is freely available on the center’s website. So the algorithms, code, mathematical advancement, etc. is open, but the data to which it is applied is not. If your project can be segmented in such a way, then we can work with you and your company. Please contact us to discuss your specific circumstances.

12. Can you transfer credits into the D. Eng. program?

There is no need or ability to transfer credits into the D.Eng. program as the program doesn’t require coursework apart from research, and the research must be unique to this degree.  

13. Does the D. Eng. program allow for non-JHU professors to participate as committee members?

The standard composition of a D.Eng. student’s committee is (1) a primary faculty advisor who is a JHU engineering professor, (2) a co-advisor from the student’s company/agency, and (3) a third committee member who is also a JHU professor.

We have already planned for some modest modifications of this structure as we are open to flexible arrangements. For example, we may be able to consider a modification of (2), if you are seeking a committee member from another university that isn’t an employee of your sponsoring company. Committee composition and requests for committee composition modifications (with an included written explanation for the modification request) must be submitted to the D. Eng. Oversight Committee, which will issue final composition approval decisions.

14. Who is eligible at my company to serve as my co-advisor?

The external co-advisor may not be someone who either reports directly or indirectly to you. In exceptional cases where a student is a CEO or Entrepreneur, etc., an external advisor may be someone from another company, or an exception can be made to have all the advisors be from within JHU.  Any co-advisor assignment requests or modifications need to be approved by the D.Eng. Oversight Committee.

15. What qualities is JHU looking for in my co-advisor?

Potential co-advisors from the applicant’s place of employment are vetted at the same time as the applicant at the time of application review by the D.Eng. Oversight Committee. In particular, we are looking for co-advisors with a track record of research, predominantly holding a doctorate in a technical discipline relevant to the project. The potential co-advisor’s CV/resume should be submitted to the D.Eng. Oversight Committee as part of the applicant’s application.

16. What happens if I leave the company that is sponsoring my degree?

You will need to inform the D.Eng. Oversight Committee and your JHU advisors, then get buy-in from your new employer and adjust your research appropriately. You will also need to select a new co-advisor from the new employer.

17. I am looking to get my second doctoral degree right after my current PhD.  Is it possible to enroll in the D.Eng. program to work on a paper or project without an employer sponsor? 

The D.Eng. program is completely designed around a research partnership between JHU Engineering and the D.Eng. student’s employer.

18. What are the requirements for graduation?

There are three overarching educational objectives for D.Eng. students: (1) The ability to acquire new, advanced knowledge, (2) The ability to formulate a research problem/program and (3) Execution of the proposed research.

In addition to several WSE-wide graduate student requirements, there are three milestone examinations designed to ensure these educational objectives have been met:

(1) Preliminary Examination

(2) Proposal Presentation and Examination

(3) Project Defense followed by dissertation/final portfolio submission.

Peer-reviewed journal articles could very well satisfy the research requirement, but we are open to other possibilities (e.g., patent applications, prototypes, simulations, etc.).  Please visit the D.Eng. Student Advising Manual for more information on requirements.

19. How is the application evaluated?

Applicants are evaluated on their achievements (both educational and work), the strength of their research proposal (applicants must come to us with a basic project in mind), and on the commitment of support from their employer sponsor. Applications are evaluated by both our D.Eng. Oversight Committee as well as the JHU faculty members you indicated as possible primary and co-advisors in your application packet.

20. Is visa sponsorship available for admitted D.Eng. students?

Unfortunately, even though the D.Eng. is a fulltime program, it is classified as non-residential. This means we cannot sponsor student visas for students to come to the US to pursue this degree. However, students who are outside the US who wish to visit the campus for the bi-annual D.Eng. conferences may be able to apply for brief visitor visa just for the duration of the conferences (a few days). Please contact our Office of International Services for more information.

21. Do I need to come to campus for the semi-annual D.Eng. conferences?

D.Eng. students are nonresidential and therefore have little opportunity to interact with each other. However, they are expected to come to Baltimore for semi-annual Doctor of Engineering Conferences held in June and January every year. The various milestone examinations take place during these conferences. D.Eng. students are strongly encouraged to attend public portions of each other’s oral examinations (proposal and project defense). In addition, the conferences provide opportunities for social networking amongst the students as well as professional development programming.

If a student is unable to attend a conference in-person due to extenuating circumstances, every effort will be made to help the student interact and engage remotely as fully as possible. Students should inform their advisor and the D.Eng. Academic Administrator as soon as they know they cannot attend in-person. 

Back to top