STEM Achievement in Baltimore Elementary Schools (SABES) is a five-year project that seeks to improve STEM curriculum and delivery in grades 3 – 5 at nine Baltimore City elementary and elementary/middle schools.
The goals of SABES are to:
- Catalyze the achievement of STEM literacy in a variety of high-need urban neighborhoods.
- Develop afterschool STEM programs where students initiate inquiry-led projects relevant to their community in collaboration with faculty, students, and other visiting STEM professionals.
- Spotlight student achievements at bi-annual STEM Showcases that leverage the expertise of community development corporations to engage the broader community.
- Engage teachers in classroom best practices around a strong, project-based STEM curriculum.
- Build a STEM teacher professional learning community around a process of peer-review and discussion.
- Provide opportunities for teachers to acquire a rigorous understanding of core science and engineering concepts and their pedagogy.