The PK-8 project-based curriculum engages students in critical thinking, problem solving, and prototype development. Throughout the program, students work in collaborative teams to solve real world problems by using the engineering design process. By the time a student graduates from Barclay Elementary/Middle School they will have had 10 years of engineering experience prior to beginning high school.
- Engineering Is Elementary’s Wee Engineer – for PreK
- STEM Achievement in Baltimore Elementary Schools (SABES) for grades K-5
- IQWST Science for grades 6-8
- Project Lead the Way Gateway to Technology for grades 6-8
Barclay students participate in unit based, content aligned, field studies where they experience real world application of science and engineering content.
- PK & K – Making for Young Innovators
- Futuremakers – once per quarter
- 1st Grade – Day & Night Exploration
- Banneker Planetarium and Banneker Museum
- 2nd Grade – Plant Study Exploration
- 3rd Grade – Animal Adaptations Exploration
- Carrie Murray Nature Center/AquaPartners
- 4th Grade – Wetlands Habitat Exploration
- Fort McHenry/Aquapartners
- 5th Grade – Marine Ecosystems Exploration
- Sandy Point State Park/Aquapartners
- 6th Grade – What Lives In the Harbor? Exploration
- National Aquarium of Baltimore
- 6th Grade – Engineering Cohort Experience
- Flight & Space at Martin’s Airport and Museum
- 7th Grade – Engineering Cohort Experience
- Automation and Robotics at StarAcademy
- 8th Grade – Genetics Exploration
- 8th Grade – Engineering Cohort Experience
- Green Architecture at Chesapeake Bay Foundation’s Phillip Merrill Center
Previous Curricular Enrichments:
- 2nd Grade – Plant Science Experience at Cylburn Arboretum and Food Systems Lab.
- 6th Grade – Exploring Oceans and Climate with SciTech Labs.
- 7th Grade – Stream Health Investigation with Patapco State Park.
- 8th Grade – Explaining Forces and Motion with Roundtop Mountain Resort.
JHU Campus Visits:
Students in grades 3-8 are invited to the JHU campus to experience both academic and student life. Faculty, staff, and graduate students from the Whiting School of Engineering and beyond, open their labs to Barclay classes for investigations, demonstrations, and engineering challenges. Campus visit themes include:
- 3rd Grade – Technology – Now & Then and HUSAM Applied Math Experience
- 4th Grade – Sound Science in the Natural World
- 5th Grade – Electrical & Computer Engineering and Center for BioEngineering Innovation and Design
- 6th Grade – Environmental and Civil Engineering
- 7th Grade – Mechanical Engineering and Robotics
- 8th Grade – Biomedical Engineering Design Challenge with Clark Scholars
Barclay Campus Visit Highlights
Barclay Students Visit Homewood Campus for Lab Tour
Barclay 8th Graders Visit JHU for November Tour