Trending: Spring 2024

Spring 2024

Nothing is staying put in the ocean. Everything is moving.”

James Bellingham, Bloomberg Distinguished Professor of Exploration Robotics, on why rescue efforts were so challenging after the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed

This is very inspiring for not only my group but for groups around the world to start thinking in this direction when designing technology. Does it serve the wider population?

Muyinatu “Bisi” Bell, John C. Malone Associate Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering, on her algorithm that improves ultrasound imaging on patients of all skin tones and body sizes (Read for more)

“The lead time on air conditioning equipment right now for a home renovation is like 16 months, right? So it’s like you’re telling me they’re going to build a whole bridge in two years? I want it to be true, but I think empirically it doesn’t feel right to me.”

Ben Schafer, Willard and Lillian Hackerman Professor of Civil and Systems Engineering and founding director of the Ralph O’Connor Sustainable Energy Institute, on how long it may take to replace Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge

“Freeform use of synthesizing someone’s voice is a slippery slope.”

Anton Dahbura, Computer Science and co-director of the Institute for Assured Autonomy, about efforts to use AI to recreate the voices of people killed by gun violence

In Impact