- V. M. Patel and R. Chellappa, Sparse representations and compressive sensing for imaging and vision, SpringerBriefs, 2013.
- V. M. Patel and H. V. Nguyen, “Domain adaptation using dictionaries,” in Computer Vision: A Reference Guide, K. Ikeuchi (Ed.), Springer 2019.
- P. Perera and V. M. Patel, “Active authentication on mobile devices,” in Selfie Biometrics, A. Rattani, R. Derakhshani, and A. Ross (Ed.), Springer 2019.
- H. Zhang and V. M. Patel, “Discriminative sparse representations”, in Handbook of Convex Optimization Methods in Imaging Science, V. Monga (Ed.), Springer 2016.
- X. Di and V. M. Patel, “Deep learning for tattoo recognition”, in Deep Learning for Biometrics, B. Bhanu and A. Kumar (Eds.), Springer, 2016.<
- J-C. Chen, R. Ranjan, V. M. Patel, C. D. Castillo, and R. Chellappa, “Unconstrained face identification and verification using deep convolutional features”, in Deep Learning in Biometrics, R. Singh, M. Vatsa, and A. Majumdar (Eds.), CRC/Tayler & Francis Press, 2016.
- J. Zheng, V. M. Patel and R. Chellappa, “Recent developments in video-based face recognition”, in Biometrics and Forensic Science, M. Tistarelli (Ed.), Springer, 2016
- P. Samangouei, E. Hand, V. M. Patel, and R. Chellappa, “Active authentication using facial attributes”, in Mobile Biometrics, G. Guo and H. Weschler (Eds.), IET, 2016.
- R. Chellappa and V. M. Patel, “Sparse and low-rank models for visual domain adaptation”, in Pattern Recognition: From Classical to Modern Approaches, S. K. Pal and A. Pal (Eds.), World Scientific, 2015.
- V. M. Patel, J. Ni and R. Chellappa, “Remote identification of faces”, in Signal and Image Processing for Biometrics: State of the Art and Recent Advances, J. Scharcanski, H. Proenca, and E. Du (Eds.), Springer, 2014.
- V. M. Patel, J. Ni and R. Chellappa, “Remote face recognition”, in Encyclopedia of Biometrics 2nd Ed., S. Z. Li and A. K. Jain (Eds.), Springer, 2013.
- V. M. Patel and R. Chellappa, “Dictionary-based methods for object recognition”, in Handbook of Statistics: Machine Learning Volume 31, V. Govindaraju and C. R. Rao (Eds.), Elsevier-North Holland, 2012.
- V. M. Patel and R. Chellappa, “Approximation methods for the recovery of shapes and images from gradients”, in Excursions in Harmonic Analysis: The February Fourier Talks at the Norbert Wiener Center, T. Andrews, R. Balan, J. J. Benedetto, W. Czaja, and K. koudjou (Eds.), Springer, 2012.
- J. K. Pillai, V. M. Patel, R. Chellappa, and N. K. Ratha, “Robust and secure iris recognition”, in Handbook of Iris Recognition, M. J. Burge and K. W. Bowyer (Eds.), Springer-Verlag, 2012.
- V. M. Patel, J. K. Pillai, and R. Chellappa, “Image and video-based biometrics”, in Visual Analysis of Humans: Looking at People, T. B. Moeslund, A. Hilton, V. Kruger, and L. Sigal (Eds.), Springer-Verlag, 2011.