Skip to main content

Internal Graduate Applicant

An Internal Graduate Applicant is a currently enrolled Johns Hopkins University graduate student who wishes to be admitted as into a second degree program, internally transferring into another program or department and plans on abandoning the current program, or a current Johns Hopkins University PhD student who wishes to have a master’s degree conferred. Please note, except in approved joint programs, the intention to pursue more than one doctorate program (for example: PhD/DMA/EdD/MD, etc.) degree simultaneously must be approved by the Homewood Graduate Board before the end of a student’s first year.


How to Apply as an Internal Graduate Applicant

  1. You must contact the department you are interested in to begin the application process as an Internal Graduate Applicant.
  2. Obtain your unofficial JHU transcripts: Go to sign in, enter your JHED ID and password, go to Registration/My Grades and click on View Unofficial Transcript.
  3. Obtain the email addresses from your recommenders (if applicable).
  4. Prepare your statement of purpose (if applicable).
  5. Have your GRE scores sent through ETS using code (if applicable).
  6. Begin the online application by selecting the correct application for your start term and degree program. Select the Internal Graduate Applicant option.
  7. Upload all documents.
  8. Pay application fee if applicable.
  9. Select Submit.
Back to top