CIRCUIT summer internship program trains students in neuroanatomy for project to improve machine learning.
Mac Gabhann, Feilim
Hackerman Hall 316A
The Hopkins Office for Undergraduate Research—HOUR, for short—launched in March under Vice Provost for Research Denis Wirtz with the mission to create a broad, centralized support structure for undergraduates to pursue their research.
The JHU Exploration of Practical Ethics provides funds for nine projects—some of which are still under way—that examine issues relating to criminal justice, higher education, economics, and environmentalism.
Scholars from across Johns Hopkins University’s 10 divisions gathered last night at the George Peabody Library to celebrate 60 innovative research projects that are being supported by the inaugural Catalyst and Discovery awards. Thirty-seven early career scholars (five of them from WSE) received Catalyst Awards and 23 cross-divisional faculty teams, which included 14 WSE faculty […]
Feilim Mac Gabhann won a 2012 Sloan Research Fellowship for his work to develop new ways to treat major human diseases
- Ph.D. 2007, School of Medicine
- Ph.D. 2006, The Johns Hopkins University
- Bachelor of Engineering 1997, University College Dublin
- 2017 - Present: Joint, SOM Biomedical Engineering
- 2012 - Present: Ph.D. Admissions Group Leader, Ph.D. Admissions
- 2012: Sloan Research Fellowship
- 2012: American Physiological Society Arthur C. Guyton Award for Excellence in Integrative Physiology
- 2010: Microcirculatory Society August Krogh Young Investigator Award
- Hunt CA, Erdemir A, Lytton WW, Gabhann FM, Sander EA, Transtrum MK, Mulugeta L (2018). The spectrum of mechanism-oriented models and methods for explanations of biological phenomena. Processes. 6(5).
- Gouin KH, Hellstrom SK, Clegg LE, Cutts J, Mac Gabhann F, Cardinal TR (2018). Arterialized collateral capillaries progress from nonreactive to capable of increasing perfusion in an ischemic arteriolar tree. Microcirculation. 25(3).
- Clegg LE, Mac Gabhann F (2018). A computational analysis of pro-angiogenic therapies for peripheral artery disease. Integrative Biology (United Kingdom). 10(1). 18-33.
- Lam I, Pickering CM, Mac Gabhann F (2018). Context-dependent regulation of receptor tyrosine kinases: Insights from systems biology approaches. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Systems Biology and Medicine.
- Clegg LE, Ganta VC, Annex BH, Gabhann FM (2017). Systems pharmacology of VEGF165b in peripheral artery disease. CPT: Pharmacometrics and Systems Pharmacology. 6(12). 833-844.
- Walpole J, Mac Gabhann F, Peirce SM, Chappell JC (2017). Agent-based computational model of retinal angiogenesis simulates microvascular network morphology as a function of pericyte coverage. Microcirculation. 24(8).
- Mac Gabhann F (2017). TILRR Steers Interleukin-1 Signaling: Co-Receptor Provides Context and a Therapeutic Target. JACC: Basic to Translational Science. 2(4). 415-417.
- Avalos CR, Abreu CM, Queen SE, Li M, Price S, Shirk EN, Engle EL, Forsyth E, Bullock BT, Gabhann FM, Wietgrefe SW, Haase AT, Zink MC, Mankowski JL, Clements JE, Gama L (2017). Brain macrophages in simian immunodeficiency virus-infected, antiretroviral-suppressed macaques: A functional latent reservoir. mBio. 8(4).
- Clegg LE, Mac Gabhann F (2017). A computational analysis of in vivo VEGFR activation by multiple co-expressed ligands. PLoS Computational Biology. 13(3).
- Clegg L, Mac Gabhann F (2017). Further Support for ECM Control of Receptor Trafficking and Signaling. Journal of Cellular Physiology. 232(1). 36-37.
- Hosseini I, Mac Gabhann F (2016). Mechanistic models predict efficacy of CCR5-deficient stem cell transplants in HIV patient populations. CPT: Pharmacometrics and Systems Pharmacology. 5(2). 82-90.
- Briquez PS, Clegg LE, Martino MM, Gabhann FM, Hubbell JA (2016). Design principles for therapeutic angiogenic materials. Nature Reviews Materials. 1(1).
- Chappell JC, Cluceru JG, Nesmith JE, Mouillesseaux KP, Bradley VB, Hartland CM, Hashambhoy-Ramsay YL, Walpole J, Peirce SM, Gabhann FM, Bautch VL (2016). Flt-1 (VEGFR-1) coordinates discrete stages of blood vessel formation. Cardiovascular Research. 111(1). 84-93.
- Bender RJ, Mac Gabhann F (2015). Dysregulation of the vascular endothelial growth factor and semaphorin ligand-receptor families in prostate cancer metastasis. BMC Systems Biology. 9(1).
- Walpole J, Chappell JC, Cluceru JG, Mac Gabhann F, Bautch VL, Peirce SM (2015). Agent-based model of angiogenesis simulates capillary sprout initiation in multicellular networks. Integrative Biology (United Kingdom). 7(9). 987-997.
- Clegg LE, Mac Gabhann F (2015). Molecular mechanism matters: Benefits of mechanistic computational models for drug development. Pharmacological Research. 99. 149-154.
- Clegg LW, Mac Gabhann F (2015). Site-Specific Phosphorylation of VEGFR2 Is Mediated by Receptor Trafficking: Insights from a Computational Model. PLoS Computational Biology. 11(6).
- Hosseini I, Gama L, Gabhann FM (2015). Multiplexed component analysis to identify genes contributing to the immune response during acute SIV infection. PLoS ONE. 10(5).
- Clegg LE, Mac Gabhann F (2015). Systems biology of the microvasculature. Integrative Biology (United Kingdom). 7(5). 498-512.
- Murfee WL, Sweat RS, Tsubota KI, Mac Gabhann F, Khismatullin D, Peirce SM (2015). Applications of computational models to better understand microvascular remodelling: A focus on biomechanical integration across scales. Interface Focus. 5(2).
- Vempati P, Popel AS, Mac Gabhann F (2014). Extracellular regulation of VEGF: Isoforms, proteolysis, and vascular patterning. Cytokine and Growth Factor Reviews. 25(1). 1-19.
- Logsdon EA, Finley SD, Popel AS, MacGabhann F (2014). A systems biology view of blood vessel growth and remodelling. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. 18(8). 1491-1508.
- Tan WH, Popel AS, Mac Gabhann F (2013). Computational model of VEGFR2 pathway to ERK activation and modulation through receptor trafficking. Cellular Signalling. 25(12). 2496-2510.
- Moraes F, Paye J, Gabhann FM, Zhuang ZW, Zhang J, Lanahan AA, Simons M (2013). Endothelial cell-dependent regulation of arteriogenesis. Circulation Research. 113(9). 1076-1086.
- Tan WH, Popel AS, Mac Gabhann F (2013). Computational Model of Gab1/2-Dependent VEGFR2 Pathway to Akt Activation. PLoS ONE. 8(6).
- Hosseini I, Mac Gabhann F (2013). S8APOBEC3G-Augmented Stem Cell Therapy to Modulate HIV Replication: A Computational Study. PLoS ONE. 8(5).
- Bender RJ, Mac Gabhann F (2013). Expression of VEGF and Semaphorin Genes Define Subgroups of Triple Negative Breast Cancer. PLoS ONE. 8(5).
- Guendel AM, Martin KS, Cutts J, Foley PL, Bailey AM, Mac Gabhann F, Cardinal TR, Peirce SM (2013). Murine spinotrapezius model to assess the impact of arteriolar ligation on microvascular function and remodeling.. Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE. (73).
- Liu G, Mac Gabhann F, Popel AS (2012). Effects of Fiber Type and Size on the Heterogeneity of Oxygen Distribution in Exercising Skeletal Muscle. PLoS ONE. 7(9).
- Hutton DL, Logsdon EA, Moore EM, Gabhann FM, Gimble JM, Grayson WL (2012). Vascular morphogenesis of adipose-derived stem cells is mediated by heterotypic cell-cell interactions. Tissue Engineering - Part A. 18(15-16). 1729-1740.
- Peirce SM, Gabhann FM, Bautch VL (2012). Integration of experimental and computational approaches to sprouting angiogenesis. Current Opinion in Hematology. 19(3). 184-191.
- Stefanini MO, Qutub AA, Mac Gabhann F, Popel AS (2012). Computational models of VEGF-associated angiogenic processes in cancer. Mathematical Medicine and Biology. 29(1). 85-94.
- Hosseini I, Mac Gabhann F (2012). Multi-scale modeling of HIV infection in vitro and APOBEC3G-based anti-retroviral therapy. PLoS Computational Biology. 8(2).
- Hashambhoy YL, Chappell JC, Peirce SM, Bautch VL, Mac Gabhann F (2011). Computational modeling of interacting VEGF and soluble VEGF receptor concentration gradients. Frontiers in Physiology. 2 OCT.
- Vempati P, Popel AS, Mac Gabhann F (2011). Formation of VEGF isoform-specific spatial distributions governing angiogenesis: computational analysis. BMC Systems Biology. 5.
- Liu G, Qutub AA, Vempati P, Mac Gabhann F, Popel AS (2011). Module-based multiscale simulation of angiogenesis in skeletal muscle. Theoretical Biology and Medical Modelling. 8(1).
- Sefcik LS, Petrie Aronin CE, Awojoodu AO, Shin SJ, Mac Gabhann F, MacDonald TL, Wamhoff BR, Lynch KR, Peirce SM, Botchwey EA (2011). Selective activation of sphingosine 1-phosphate receptors 1 and 3 promotes local microvascular network growth. Tissue Engineering - Part A. 17(5-6). 617-629.
- Benedict KF, Mac Gabhann F, Amanfu RK, Chavali AK, Gianchandani EP, Glaw LS, Oberhardt MA, Thorne BC, Yang JH, Papin JA, Peirce SM, Saucerman JJ, Skalak TC (2011). Systems analysis of small signaling modules relevant to eight human diseases. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 39(2). 621-635.
- Stefanini MO, Wu FTH, Mac Gabhann F, Popel AS (2010). Increase of plasma VEGF after intravenous administration of bevacizumab is predicted by a pharmacokinetic model. Cancer Research. 70(23). 9886-9894.
- Gabhann FM, Qutub AA, Annex BH, Popel AS (2010). Systems biology of pro-angiogenic therapies targeting the VEGF system. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Systems Biology and Medicine. 2(6). 694-707.
- Gabhann FM, Annex BH, Popel AS (2010). Gene therapy from the perspective of systems biology. Current Opinion in Molecular Therapeutics. 12(5). 570-577.
- Vempati P, Mac Gabhann F, Popel AS (2010). Quantifying the proteolytic release of extracellular matrix-sequestered VEGF with a computational model. PLoS ONE. 5(7).
- Gabhann FM, Peirce SM (2010). Collateral capillary arterialization following arteriolar ligation in murine skeletal muscle. Microcirculation. 17(5). 333-347.
- Wu FTH, Stefanini MO, Mac Gabhann F, Kontos CD, Annex BH, Popel AS (2010). VEGF and soluble VEGF receptor-1 (sFlt-1) distributions in peripheral arterial disease: An in silico model. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 298(6).
- Wu FTH, Stefanini MO, Gabhann FM, Kontos CD, Annex BH, Popel AS (2010). A systems biology perspective on sVEGFR1: Its biological function, pathogenic role and therapeutic use. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. 14(3). 528-552.
- Wu FTH, Stefanini MO, Gabhann FM, Popel AS (2009). Chapter 18 Modeling of Growth Factor-Receptor Systems. From Molecular-Level Protein Interaction Networks to Whole-Body Compartment Models. Methods in Enzymology. 467(C). 461-497.
- Stefanini MO, Wu FTH, Gabhann FM, Popel AS (2009). The presence of VEGF receptors on the luminal surface of endothelial cells affects VEGF distribution and VEGF signaling. PLoS Computational Biology. 5(12).
- Wu FTH, Stefanini MO, Mac Gabhann F, Kontos CD, Annex BH, Popel AS (2009). Computational kinetic model of VEGF trapping by soluble VEGF receptor-1: Effects of transendothelial and lymphatic macromolecular transport. Physiological Genomics. 38(1). 29-41.
- Wu FTH, Stefanini MO, Mac Gabhann F, Popel AS (2009). A compartment model of VEGF distribution in humans in the presence of soluble VEGF receptor-1 acting as a ligand trap. PLoS ONE. 4(4).
- Qutub A, Gabhann F, Karagiannis E, Vempati P, Popel A (2009). Multiscale models of angiogenesis. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine. 28(2). 14-31.
- Gabhann FM, Popel AS (2008). Systems biology of vascular endothelial growth factors. Microcirculation. 15(8). 715-738.
- Stefanini MO, Wu FTH, Mac Gabhann F, Popel AS (2008). A compartment model of VEGF distribution in blood, healthy and diseased tissues. BMC Systems Biology. 2.
- Demetriades AM, Deering T, Liu H, Lu L, Gehlbach P, Packer JD, Gabhann FM, Popel AS, Wei LL, Campochiaro PA (2008). Trans-scleral delivery of antiangiogenic proteins. Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 24(1). 70-79.
- Ji JW, Mac Gabhann F, Popel AS (2007). Skeletal muscle VEGF gradients in peripheral arterial disease: Simulations of rest and exercise. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 293(6).
- Kut C, Mac Gabhann F, Popel AS (2007). Where is VEGF in the body? A meta-analysis of VEGF distribution in cancer. British Journal of Cancer. 97(7). 978-985.
- Mac Gabhann F, Popel AS (2007). Dimerization of VEGF receptors and implications for signal transduction: A computational study. Biophysical Chemistry. 128(2-3). 125-139.
- Mac Gabhann F, Ji JW, Popel AS (2007). Multi-scale computational models of pro-angiogenic treatments in peripheral arterial disease. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 35(6). 982-994.
- Mac Gabhann F, Demetriades AM, Deering T, Packer JD, Shah SM, Duh E, Campochiaro PA, Popel AS (2007). Protein transport to choroid and retina following periocular injection: Theoretical and experimental study. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 35(4). 615-630.
- Mac Gabhann F, Ji JW, Popel AS (2007). VEGF gradients, receptor activation, and sprout guidance in resting and exercising skeletal muscle. Journal of Applied Physiology. 102(2). 722-734.
- Mac Gabhann F, Popel AS (2007). Interactions of VEGF isoforms with VEGFR-1, VEGFR-2, and neuropilin in vivo: A computational model of human skeletal muscle. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 292(1).
- Mac Gabhann F, Popel AS (2006). Targeting neuropilin-1 to inhibit VEGF signaling in cancer: Comparison of therapeutic approaches. PLoS Computational Biology. 2(12). 1649-1662.
- Gabhann FM, Ji JW, Popel AS (2006). Computational model of vascular endothelial growth factor spatial distribution in muscle and pro-angiogenic cell therapy. PLoS Computational Biology. 2(9). 1107-1120.
- Mac Gabhann F, Yang MT, Popel AS (2005). Monte Carlo simulations of VEGF binding to cell surface receptors in vitro. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - Molecular Cell Research. 1746(2). 95-107.
- Mac Gabhann F, Popel AS (2005). Differential binding of VEGF isoforms to VEGF receptor 2 in the presence of neuropilin-1: A computational model. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 288(6 57-6).
- Mac Gabhann F, Karagiannis ED, Popel AS (2004). Building blocks for computational models of angiogenesis. Conference Record - Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers. 1. 739-745.
- Mac Gabhann F, Popel AS (2004). Model of competitive binding of vascular endothelial growth factor and placental growth factor to VEGF receptors on endothelial cells. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 286(1 55-1).
- Mac Gabhann F, Stefanini MO, Popel AS (2012). Simulating therapeutics using multiscale models of the VEGF receptor system in cancer. Modeling Tumor Vasculature: Molecular, Cellular, and Tissue Level Aspects and Implications. 9781461400523. 37-53.
- Qutub AA, Gabhann FM, Karagiannis ED, Popel AS (2010). In Silico Modeling of Angiogenesis at Multiple Scales: From Nanoscale to Organ System. Multiscale Modeling of Particle Interactions: Applications in Biology and Nanotechnology. 287-320.