Hopkins neuroscientist discovers that performing a task in front of an audience triggers part of the brain associated with action and motor skills.
Chib, Vikram S.
Som Biomedical EngineeringBME Profile
707 N Broadway Rm G04
WSE In The News
2/9/18: 3 mental tricks to win gold at the Winter Olympics, BME’s Kathleen Cullen and Vikram Chib, CNN
Imagine two Olympians who are equally trained, equally fit, equally talented. Is there a way to tell which athlete will win, and which athlete will choke? Vikram Chib, an assistant professor of biomedical engineering at Johns Hopkins, says that if he could compare their brain scans, he’d have a good idea about which one is most likely to choke under pressure.
The JHU Exploration of Practical Ethics provides funds for nine projects—some of which are still under way—that examine issues relating to criminal justice, higher education, economics, and environmentalism.
- Ph.D. 2007, Northwstrn University*
- Master of Science 2003, Northwstrn University*
- Bachelor of Science 2001, University of Pittsburgh
- Galaro JK, Celnik P, Chib VS (2019). Motor cortex excitability reflects the subjective value of reward and mediates its effects on incentive-motivated performance. Journal of Neuroscience. 39(7). 1236-1248.
- Dunne S, Chib VS, Berleant J, O'Doherty JP (2019). Reappraisal of incentives ameliorates choking under pressure and is correlated with changes in the neural representations of incentives. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience. 14(1). 13-22.
- Chib VS, Adachi R, O'Doherty JP (2018). Neural substrates of social facilitation effects on incentive-based performance. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience. 13(4). 391-403.
- Sacré P, Kerr MSD, Kahn K, Gonzalez-Martinez J, Bulacio J, Park HJ, Johnson MA, Thompson S, Jones J, Chib VS, Gale JT, Sarma SV (2016). Lucky Rhythms in Orbitofrontal Cortex Bias Gambling Decisions in Humans. Scientific Reports. 6.
- Chib VS, Shimojo S, O’Doherty JP (2014). The effects of incentive framing on performance decrements for large monetary outcomes: Behavioral and neural mechanisms. Journal of Neuroscience. 34(45). 14833-14844.
- Chib VS, Yun K, Takahashi H, Shimojo S (2013). Noninvasive remote activation of the ventral midbrain by transcranial direct current stimulation of prefrontal cortex. Translational Psychiatry. 3.
- Genschow O, Florack A, Chib VS, Shimojo S, Scarabis M, Wänke M (2013). Reaching for the (Product) Stars: Measuring Recognition and Approach Speed to Get Insights Into Consumer Choice. Basic and Applied Social Psychology. 35(3). 298-315.
- Chib VS, De Martino B, Shimojo S, O'Doherty JP (2012). Neural Mechanisms Underlying Paradoxical Performance for Monetary Incentives Are Driven by Loss Aversion. Neuron. 74(3). 582-594.
- Sulzer JS, Chib VS, Hepp-Reymond MC, Kollias S, Gassert R (2011). BOLD correlations to force in precision grip: An event-related study. Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS. 2342-2346.
- Sulzer JS, Chib VS, Hepp-Reymond MC, Kollias S, Gassert R (2011). BOLD correlations to force in precision grip: an event-related study.. Conference proceedings : ... Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Conference. 2342-2346.
- Chib VS, Rangel A, Shimojo S, O'Doherty JP (2009). Evidence for a common representation of decision values for dissimilar goods in human ventromedial prefrontal cortex. Journal of Neuroscience. 29(39). 12315-12320.
- Chib VS, Krutky MA, Lynch KM, Mussa-Ivaldi FA (2009). The separate neural control of hand movements and contact forces. Journal of Neuroscience. 29(12). 3939-3947.
- Sulzer J, Salamat A, Chib V, Colgate JE (2007). A behavioral adaptation approach to identifying visual dependence of haptic perception. Proceedings - Second Joint EuroHaptics Conference and Symposium on Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environment and Teleoperator Systems, World Haptics 2007. 3-8.
- Clanton ST, Wang DC, Chib VS, Matsuoka Y, Stetten GD (2006). Optical merger of direct vision with virtual images for scaled teleoperation. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics. 12(2). 277-284.
- Chib VS, Patton JL, Lynch KM, Mussa-Ivaldi FA (2006). Haptic identification of surfaces as fields of force. Journal of Neurophysiology. 95(2). 1068-1077.
- Chib VS, Patton JL, Lynch KM, Mussa-Ivaldi FA (2005). The effect of stiffness and curvature on the haptic identification of surfaces. Proceedings - 1st Joint Eurohaptics Conference and Symposium on Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environment and Teleoperator Systems; World Haptics Conference, WHC 2005. 126-131.
- Chib VS, Lynch KM, Patton JL, Mussa-Ivaldi FA (2004). Haptic discrimination of perturbing fields and object boundaries. Proceedings - 12th International Symposium on Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environment and Teleoperator Systems, HAPTICS. 375-382.
- Geyer MJ, Brienza DM, Chib V, Wang J (2004). Quantifying fibrosis in venous disease: mechanical properties of lipodermatosclerotic and healthy tissue.. Advances in skin & wound care. 17(3). 131-142.
- Mussa-Ivaldi FA, Patton JL, Chib V, Sha D, Mah CD, Dingwell JB (2003). Multijoint arm control: Beyond reaching. Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology - Proceedings. 2. 1452-1455.
- Stetten G, Shelton D, Chang W, Chib V, Tamburo R, Hildebrand D, Lobes L, Sumkin J (2002). Towards a clinically useful sonic flashlight. Proceedings - International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging. 2002-January. 417-420.
- Stetten GD, Chib VS (2001). Overlaying ultrasonographic images on direct vision. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. 20(3). 235-240.
- Stetten G, Chib V, Hildebrand D, Bursee J (2001). Real time tomographic reflection: Phantoms for calibration and biopsy. Proceedings - IEEE and ACM International Symposium on Augmented Reality, ISAR 2001. 11-19.
- Stetten G, Chib V (2001). Magnified real-time Tomographic reflection. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). 2208. 683-690.
- Sterten GD, Chib VS, Tamburo RJ (2000). Tomographic reflection to merge ultrasound images with direct vision. Proceedings - Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop. 2000-January. 200-205.