Department of Civil Engineering
Co-Director, Center for Systems Science and Engineering
Sauleh Siddiqui is an Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering and Applied Mathematics & Statistics at the Whiting School of Engineering, Co-Director of the Center for Systems Science & Engineering, and Research Fellow at DIW Berlin. He is also a member of the Malone Center for Engineering in Healthcare and the Center for Systems Engineering in Healthcare. He has received the Young Researcher Prize from the Energy Natural Resources and the Environment section of INFORMS, where he serves as Chair of the Energy Cluster. He is also Vice Chair for Linear and Conic Optimization for the INFORMS optimization society and is an Associate Editor for the journal Optimization and Engineering
His research is on formulating and solving optimization and game theory models representing human-system interaction when making decisions in large-scale energy and health systems. These include applications to energy infrastructure, healthcare planning, and urban transportation. Modeling multiplayer decisions under uncertainty using optimization introduces nonlinearities and discontinuities in the problem structure that need to be resolved for theoretical and computational foundations. His research centers on developing the required theory and computational tools for solving these new class of optimization problems.
He has received research funding from NSF, NIH, MIT Collaborative Initiatives, the World Bank, Johns Hopkins Health System, and the Norwegian Research Council. In addition, he has collaborated on projects with the International Council on Clean Transportation, Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Engineering, Resources for the Future, the Joint Global Change Research Institute, and Bikemore. These projects have included modeling energy and climate markets, patient flow and staffing in hospitals, and global vaccination strategies.
He received an A.B. in Mathematics and Public Policy from Franklin & Marshall College and a Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics & Statistics, and Scientific Computation from the University of Maryland, College Park. Prior to joining Hopkins, he was an Associate in the Environmental Markets team at ICF International and a consultant with the Development Research Group at the World Bank. [Google Scholar & Research Gate]
- Jiang, W., Searle, S., Siddiqui, S. (2017). Analysis of the global wood-chip trade’s response to renewable energy policies using a spatial price equilibrium model. Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining.
- Brijs, T., Huppmann, D., Siddiqui, S., Belmans, R. (2016). Auction-based allocation of shared electricity storage resources through physical storage rights. Journal of Energy Storage. 7. 82–92.
- Siddiqui, S., Christensen, A. (2016). Determining energy and climate market policy using multiobjective programs with equilibrium constraints. Energy. 94. 316–325.
- Brijs, T., van Stiphout, A., Siddiqui, S., Belmans, R. (2016). Evaluating the Role of Electricity Storage by Considering Short-Term Operation in Long-Term Planning.
- Oke, O., Huppmann, D., Marshall, M., Poulton, R., Siddiqui, S. (2016). Mitigating environmental and public-safety risks of United States crude-by-rail transport.
- Siddiqui, S., Gabriel, S. A. (2016). Modeling market power in the US shale gas market. Optimization and Engineering. 1–11.
- Feijoo, F., Huppmann, D., Sakiyama, L., Siddiqui, S. (2016). North American natural gas model: Impact of cross-border trade with Mexico. Energy. 112. 1084–1095.
- Brijs, T., Geth, F., Siddiqui, S., Hobbs, B., Belmans, R. (2016). Price-based unit commitment electricity storage arbitrage with piecewise linear price-effects. Journal of Energy Storage. 7. 52–62.
- Sankaranarayanan, S., Feijoo, F., Siddiqui, S. (2016). Sensitivity and Covariance in Stochastic Complementarity Problems with an Application to Natural Gas Markets. arXiv preprint arXiv:1612.04847.
- Oke, O., Bhalla, K., Love, D. C., Siddiqui, S. (2016). Spatial associations in global household bicycle ownership. Annals of Operations Research. 1–21.
- Christensen, A., Siddiqui, S. (2015). A mixed complementarity model for the US biofuel market with federal policy interventions. Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining. 9(4). 397–411.
- Huppmann, D., Siddiqui, S. (2015). An exact solution method for binary equilibrium problems with compensation and the power market uplift problem.
- Toerper, M. F., Flanagan, E., Siddiqui, S., Appelbaum, J., Kasper, E. K., Levin, S. (2015). Cardiac catheterization laboratory inpatient forecast tool: a prospective evaluation. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. ocv124.
- Oke, O., Siddiqui, S. (2015). Efficient automated schematic map drawing using multiobjective mixed integer programming. Computers & Operations Research. 61. 1–17.
- Christensen, A., Siddiqui, S. (2015). Fuel price impacts and compliance costs associated with the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS). Energy Policy. 86. 614–624.
- Oke, O., Bhalla, K., Love, D. C., Siddiqui, S. (2015). Journal of Transport & Health.
- Barnes, S., Hamrock, E., Toerper, M., Siddiqui, S., Levin, S. (2015). Real-time prediction of inpatient length of stay for discharge prioritization. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. ocv106.
- Siddiqui, S., Gabriel, S. A., Azarm, S. (2015). Solving mixed-integer robust optimization problems with interval uncertainty using Benders decomposition. Journal of the Operational Research Society. 66(4). 664–673.
- Oke, O., Bhalla, K., Love, D. C., Siddiqui, S. (2015). Supplementary Material for: Tracking global bicycle ownership patterns.
- Satti, S., Zaitchik, B., Siddiqui, S. (2015). The question of Sudan: a hydro-economic optimization model for the Sudanese Blue Nile. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences. 19(5). 2275–2293.
- Oke, O., Bhalla, K., Love, D. C., Siddiqui, S. (2015). Tracking global bicycle ownership patterns. Journal of Transport & Health. 2(4). 490–501.
- Strand, J., Siddiqui, S. (2015). Value of improved information about forest protection values, with application to rainforest valuation.
- Strand, J., Miller, S., Siddiqui, S. (2014). Long-run carbon emission implications of energy-intensive infrastructure investments with a retrofit option. Energy Economics. 46. 308–317.
- Satti, S., Zaitchik, B., Siddiqui, S. (2014). The question of Sudan: a hydroeconomic optimization model for the Sudanese Nile. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences Discussions. 11. 11565–11603.
- Siddiqui, S., Gabriel, S. A. (2013). An SOS1-based approach for solving MPECs with a natural gas market application. Networks and Spatial Economics. 13(2). 205–227.
- Karp, L. S., Siddiqui, S., Strand, J. (2013). Dynamic climate policy with both strategic and non-strategic agents: taxes versus quantities.
- Gabriel, S. A., Conejo, A. J., Ruiz, C., Siddiqui, S. (2013). Solving discretely constrained, mixed linear complementarity problems with applications in energy. Computers & Operations Research. 40(5). 1339–1350.
- Gabriel, S. A., Rosendahl, K. E., Egging, R., Avetisyan, H. G., Siddiqui, S. (2012). Cartelization in gas markets: Studying the potential for a “Gas OPEC”. Energy Economics. 34(1). 137–152.
- Siddiqui, S., Azarm, S., Gabriel, S. A. (2012). On improving normal boundary intersection method for generation of Pareto frontier. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization. 46(6). 839–852.
- Siddiqui, S., Azarm, S., Gabriel, S. (2011). A modified Benders decomposition method for efficient robust optimization under interval uncertainty. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization. 44(2). 259–275.
- Merritts, D., Walter, R., Rahnis, M., Hartranft, J., Cox, S., Gellis, A., Potter, N., Hilgartner, W., Langland, M., Manion, L., others. (2011). Anthropocene streams and base-level controls from historic dams in the unglaciated mid-Atlantic region, USA. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. 369(1938). 976–1009.
- Strand, J., Miller, S., Siddiqui, S. (2011). Infrastructure investments under uncertainty with the possibility of retrofit: theory and simulations.
- Gabriel, S. A., Rosendahl, K. E., Egging, R. G., Avetisyan, H., Siddiqui, S. (2010). Cartelization in gas markets: studying the potential for a" Gas OPEC". Statistics Norway, Research Department.