Accepted Student FAQs – Masters Program

Below are some Frequently Asked Questions we receive from our accepted Masters students. If you have questions that are not answered below, please email them to Cris Moen at [email protected].

Can I be employed by the department while I’m getting my degree?

There are possibilities to be a graduate research assistant as an MSE student.  And sometimes professors pay students hourly to be TAs.

Typically we suggest that you arrive at JHU and then try to find a professor to do research within the fall semester (take classes with professors you might want to work with, get to know them).   Research financial support is possible for MSE students however most sponsored project funding is typically reserved for our large PhD population.

Since financial support is only available for two years. Is this a two-year program? Is there an opportunity to finish in less than two years?

Our MSE program is designed to be completed in two semesters – 4 classes in the fall, a winter externship, and 4 classes in the spring.   You can stick around for longer if you wish – some of our students choose to progress at a slower pace.  Taking 1.5 years makes sense if you find a short-term research experience, and 2 years makes sense if you end up completing an MSE thesis. Take a look at our program structure to find a solution that works for you.


Back to top