Professor Mechanical Engineering and School of Medicine (secondary),
Whiting School of Engineering, Johns Hopkins University
- Computational fluid dynamics, biofluid dynamics, fluid-structure interaction, flow control, biomimetics and bioinspired engineering.
- See also: http://www.icm.jhu.edu/faculty/mittal.php
- B. Tech Aero.Engg 1989, IIT Kanpur; MS Aero Engg 1991, University of Florida; Ph.D. Applied Mechanics, 1995, UIUC.
Awards and honors
- APS Fellow, 2011
- ASME Fellow, 2011
- 2006 Lewis F. Moody Award from ASME
- Pratt Whitney Fellows Lecture, East Hartford, CT, 1999.
- 1996 Francois Naftali Frenkiel Award for Fluid Mechanics from the Division of Fluid Dynamics of The American Physical Society, 1996.
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Center for Turbulence Research, Stanford University amd NASA Ames Research Center, 1995.
- J. H. Seo, and R. Mittal, “Effect of diastolic flow patterns on the function of the left ventricle”, Phys. Fluids, Vol. 25, pp: 110801-21, doi: 10.1063/1.4819067, 2013.
- L. Zheng, T. L. Hedrick, R. Mittal, “A multi-fidelity modelling approach for evaluation and optimization of wing stroke aerodynamics in flapping flight”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 721, pp:118-154, 2013.
- Jung Hee Seo, Vijay Vedula, Theodore Abraham, and Rajat Mittal, “Multiphysics computational models for cardiac flow and virtual cardiography”, Int. J. Num. Meth. Biomed. Eng., doi: 10.1002/cnm.2556, 2013.
- R. Mittal, B. D. Erath, and M. W. Plesniak, “Fluid dynamics of human phonation and speech”, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 45, pp: 437-467, 2013.
- L. Zheng, T. L. Hedrick, R. Mittal, “A comparative study of the hovering efficiency of flapping and revolving wings”, Bioinspiration and Biomimetics, Vol. 8 (3), pp:036001-13, 2013.
- Jung Hee Seo and Rajat Mittal, “A Coupled Flow-Acoustic Computational Study of Bruits from a Modeled Stenosed Artery”, Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, Vol 50(10) pp 1025-35, 2012.
- Alfred von Loebbecke and Rajat Mittal, “Comparative Analysis of Thrust Production for Distinct Arm-Pull Styles in Competitive Swimming”, ASME J. Biomechanical Engineering, Vol 134(7), 074501, 2012.
- “Flow Physics and Nonlinear Dynamics of Separated Flows Subject to ZNMF Jet Actuation” AFOSR.
- “A New Paradigm for the Development of Clinically Applicable Diagnostic Tools via Imaging-Based Computational Fluid Dynamic Modeling — Prediction of Left Ventricular Thrombus” Discovery Fund Synergy Award.
- EPRI: Collaborative Research: autoFlutter: Efficient, Waterless Power Plant Cooling
- “SCH: INT: Mapping the Cardiac Acousteome: Biosensing and Computational Modeling Applied to Smart Diagnosis and Monitoring of Heart Conditions”, NSF
- “Dynamic immersed boundary method for LES of turbulent flow over rough surfaces and applications to macro-biofouling”, ONR
- “CDI Type II: From Ion Channels to Blood Flow and Heart Sounds: A New Paradigm in Cyber-Enabled Multiphysical Analysis of Heart Function”, NSF
- “Collaborative Research: Pteropod Swimming Behavior as a Bio Assay for Ocean Acidification”, NSF
- “PIRE: USA/Europe Partnership for Integrated Research and Education in Wind Energy Intermittency: From Wind Farm Turbulence to Economic Management”, NSF
- “Enhanced Convection Heat Transfer using Small-Scale Vorticity Concentrations effected by Flow-Driven, Aeroelastically Vibrating Reeds”, AFOSR
- “Harvesting energy from flow-induced flutter of ‘piezoleaves’ for self-powered sensors”, E2SHI, JHU
- “UNS: Coupled Flow-Chemistry Modeling of Thrombogensis in Human Ventricles”, NSF