The Geomorphology, Hydrology, and Ecology area of interest promotes the fundamental understanding of processes at the Earth’s surface. Research is presently focused on:
- physical dynamics of tidal freshwater wetland evolution;
- land use impacts on forest dynamics;
- sediment transport, channel dynamics, and benthic ecology in rivers;
- acquisition of nutrient and toxic elements by plants, fungi, and bacteria;
- natural products, biological signalling, and chemical ecology;
- estuarine paleoecology; and
- maintenance and flushing flows in mountainous rivers.